FASHION FRIDAY: Once Upon a Time-Inspired Holiday Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

After Once Upon a Time’s compelling winter finale last Sunday, I thought it would only be appropriate to dedicate this week’s Fashion Friday post to the much-beloved series. Just in case you didn’t know, the show is about a town in Maine called Storybrooke, where all of your favorite fairytale characters from Snow White to Rumplestilskin live, except, until this season, they had no idea who they were. A curse was placed on all of the characters and the town to keep them from leaving or using magic. At the beginning of the second season, that spell, enacted by the Evil Queen, who is known as the mayor, Regina, in Storybrooke, was broken. Unfortunately, that brought along a new set of problems.

With the holiday season fast approaching, I wanted to create outfits inspired by Once Upon a Time that would also be great to wear for holiday parties and family gatherings. It was also my take on the outfits I thought the characters might wear to their own holiday parties. Check out the outfits below!

Regina Mills

Regina Mills (Lana Parilla) is the mayor of Storybrooke, but in the Enchanted Forest she is known as the Evil Queen. In both worlds she is known for being cunning, manipulative and a little scary. Her style in Storybrooke is structured and professional and her style in the Enchanted Forest is still structured but usually features dramatic collars, rich jewel tones and regal, elegant silhouettes. In this outfit, the coat is a nod to the dramatic collared gowns she wears in the Enchanted Forest and the color is more in tune with the professional color palette she wears in Storybrooke. The corseted top has an open back and reminded me of some of the more risqué gowns she’s worn this season. I thought the high-waisted pants were a great way to meld the dramatic and professional demeanors she embodies. The intricate design of the shoes reminded me of heavy brocade fabrics and the rings also make a pretty regal statement.

[pagebreak]

Mary Margaret Blanchard

Mary Margaret Blanchard (Ginnifer Goodwin) is a teacher in Storybrooke, but her fairytale counterpart is Snow White. In Storybrooke, preceding her affair with the then-married, David or Prince Charming (Josh Dallas), she was known for being genuine, loving and kind. In the Enchanted Forest, she was royalty and was loved by all in her kingdom. Her style in Storybrooke is reliant on classic silhouettes, a-line skirts and a light color palette. In the Enchanted Forest, she keeps the same color palette, but wears heavier fabrics and form-fitting gowns fit for a princess. In this outfit, I chose a red a-line dress with a sweetheart neckline and heart-shaped cutout in the back to keep the sweet, classic nature of Mary Margaret’s style intact. I thought the coat was something I could easily picture her wearing. The bows on the shoes are a cute detail you’d see a lot of on the show. The jewelry were cheeky nods to the poison apple and Snow White’s love for nature.

[pagebreak]

Ruby

Ruby (Meghan Ory)  is my favorite character on the show since her storyline contains one of the most interesting and exciting plot twists to date. She works as a waitress in Storybrooke at Granny’s Diner and her fairytale counterpart is Little Red Riding Hood. In Storybrooke, she’s known for her signature red lip and winged-liner (another reason that I love her) and she usually wears trendy clothing in fall-inspired tones like deep reds, blues and dark yellow hues. In the Enchanted Forest, she isn’t caught for a second without her embroidered red cape and usually wears simple dresses with frilly corseted tops. This outfit features a sheer black top, layering tank and oxblood leather leggings. I kept the color palette dark because it’s the darker elements of her storyline that I find so intriguing. I also added a structural jacket, because I wanted to avoid being too literal by featuring a capelet. The heeled booties are definitely Ruby’s style since they’re so of-the-moment. I added a silver wolf ring and silver-bullet earrings, because….well, SPOILER ALERT, she’s plays two roles. She’s also the Big Bad Wolf.

[pagebreak]

Emma Swan

Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) was the sheriff of Storybrooke. Other than being Snow White and Prince Charming’s daughter in the Enchanted Forest and finding out that she is Storybrooke’s savior from the curse, we aren’t told exactly who her fairytale counterpart is, or if she is even has one that we’ve heard of before. Her style in Storybrooke, is definitely more simple than the other characters. She’s usual seen wearing her red leather jacket, jeans and boots. She has to be comfortable since she never knows when she might have to defend herself. I wanted to change her look around a little bit, to make it appropriate for the holidays. I put together an outfit featuring a slouchy purple knit sweater, since purple represents royalty, which is what Emma would’ve been had she grown up in the Enchanted Forest. I added a gold statement necklace for some sparkle. The brown leather jacket is a nod to her red one. The tan pants looked great with the purple and gold and tied the look together. I thought they worked well since she usually wears more form-fitting bottoms and I like to go that route with looser tops as well. I added the boots because I could definitely see here wearing these on the show. The heart and love rings are a reference to what was revealed about Emma in the winter finale.

Photo Source:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie….

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com. 
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.