FASHION FRIDAY: Must-Read Blogs for Curvy Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s no surprise that the fashion industry has seemed to favor thinner women since it’s beginnings. While most magazines haven’t seemed to embrace the idea of putting curvier women on their covers regularly, the blogosphere is blowing up with fashionista who don’t fit the mold. According to the LA Times, the average American woman wears a size 14, but according to ABC News, a size 6 is plus size. With vanity sizing running rampant in clothing stores, navigating the world of plus sized or not can be nothing short of confusing.

In any case, as women and fashion-lovers we all have similar goals — to look and feel fabulous. Below are three must-read fashion blogs run by women who do just that and are on a mission to help you do the same. Whether you’re considered “plus-sized” (whatever that means) or not, you can totally take a cue from these stylish ladies, so read on to get inspired!

Girl with Curves

1|2|3

Girl with Curves is the brainchild of Tanesha Awasthi. Awasthi is a UC Berkely graduate, licensed esthetician and published writer. Along with running her own site, she also regularly writes for Redbook Magazine and is a beauty contributor to GlossDaily.com, a publication powered by Ladies Home Journal.  Her site launched in 2011 and is insanely popular. What I love about the Girl with Curves aesthetic is that Awasthi is so inventive, fun and playful with her look. There’s always a little playful touch or surprising element to each of her outfits. If you’re interested in having your jaw drop, check out her wedding photos.

Gabi Fresh

1|2|3

Gabi Gregg was right to call her site Gabi Fresh as she is just that, endlessly fresh. She always has an interesting, cool take on trends. Orginally called “Young, Fat and Fabulous,” the site launched in 2008 after Gregg graduated from college. What started as a fun hobby for a student unable to find a job, soon became a full time job. Gregg has been featured in Glamour, Teen Vogue, InStyle, The New York Times, Seventeen, Time Out New Yorkand Cosmopolitan and has contributed to Vogue.it, Refinery29, xoJane, Glamour.com and Essence.com.What I love about reading Gabi Fresh is that Gregg is not about minimizing, hiding or camouflaging her body. She owns it and shows of her curves, so much so that even created a line of gorgeous bikini’s designed for plus-sized women! She truly does live by her sites description: “If you love fashion but you’re sick of being told to wear A-line skirts, wrap dresses, boot cut jeans, and slimming prints, this is the blog for you.”

Nadia Aboulhosn

1|2|3

Nadia Aboulhosn’s style is bold, edgy and endless cool. She serves up city-girl chic like no other and is all about breaking the rules. She shows of her fabulous curves and wears all things curvy women are told not to. She’s been featured in everything from Teen Vogue to Lucky to Seventeen and Elle Finland. She is all over the map and works every oufit with an endless array of attitude and head-to-toe fierceness. Aboulhosn is both a full-time blogger and a model based in Brooklyn (who was recently featured in a sexy Vogue Italia spread). I first heard of her when she won American Apparel’s XL Model Search in 2011, and it’s clear to see how her work has influenced her fearless style. 

Photo Sources:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/20…

http://static3.refinery29.com/…

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.