FASHION FRIDAY: Mastering the Art of Being a Maxxinista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

1.  Ignore the sizes

Since TJ Maxx carries clothing from all types of stores and designers, it is best to just ignore the sizes on the hangers completely. For one, they may not match the actual size on the clothing, but sizes vary across all designers. If you see something you like and it looks like it may fit, try it on!

2.  Don’t judge the clothing by the hanger

There aren’t usually mannequins in TJ Maxx so if you find something that looks lifeless on the hanger try it on anyways because you may be exactly what it needs to regain its life. Another reason not to judge the clothing by how it looks on the hanger is because it is too hard to tell how something may fit merely by looking at it.

3.  Look at the original price

One of the best things about shipping at TJ Maxx is that they keep the original price tags on their merchandise. You may not want to pay $80 for that Michael Kors bag, but when the original tag say $200, you may change your mind. Anything and everything found at TJ Maxx is a steal already, but knowing exactly how much of a discount you are getting can make your choice to buy a lot easier!

4.  Get cozy with the jewelry counter

Before you can truly become a Maxxinista, you must get to know what lies beneath the glass of the jewelry counter (hint: it’s not costume jewelry). TJ Maxx can have anything from Betsy Johnson to Juicy under the counter, but you will never know if you keep avoiding it! One Maxxinista found a Betsy Johnson charm bracelet for $24.99 that was originally $65 and a Juicy watch for $35 that was originally $109.99

5.  There is more than meets the eye when it comes to bags

Walking through the bag isles of TJ Maxx can be overwhelming when a new shipment has just come in, but don’t just look with your eyes. Sort through each color and each hanger to find what is behind the ones in the front. Too many people will just look at what is up front, but some of the best finds can be in the very back of the rack.

So now you have it, some of Her Campus USF’s top tips for mastering the art of becoming a Maxxinista. What are some of your top tips and tricks to shopping and finding great deals at TJ Maxx? Let us know in the comments!

Photo Sources:

http://www.thescoopishere.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/IMG_0396.jpg

http://ashleybollinger.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_2071.jpg

http://www.thestyleandbeautydoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/prada-shoes-tj-maxx-marshalls.jpg

Kelsey Howard is a senior at the University of South Florida. She is majoring in mass communications with a concentration in magazine and a minor in American Sign Language. Kelsey is currently on the Editorial Team for Her Campus USF, is a blogger for Rent the Runway and a news writing intern for USF College of Arts and Sciences. She loves writing about fashion, beauty, relationships, careers, education, and much more. Kelsey aspires to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career at a national, monthly magazine. Kelsey is currently on a mission to empower girls and women everywhere! Follow Kelsey on Twitter and Instagram at @KelseyKayHoward and read her personal blog at http://www.kelseykayhoward.com. View her resume and portfolio at www.kelseykayhoward.info.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.