FASHION FRIDAY: Fall Fashion: Florida Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I’m tired of reading “Fall Fashion” articles that have nothing to do with me. I live in Florida, where the seasons don’t exist and the sun is always shining. I can go to the beach in the middle of October, still get a pretty decent tan and not freeze my butt off, so obviously I don’t need to know how to pair that perfect scarf with a sweater. I’m here to end the “Fall Fashion” frustration for us Floridian girls and give you tips on how to do fall fashion in Florida style.

1.      Light layers are your best friend

Many people know the struggle of Florida weather during fall and winter. It’s usually cold in the morning and somehow magically gets hot by the middle of the day. Most people make the mistake of wearing clothing that keeps you warm without considering the fact that it’s probably going to get hot by the middle of the day. My advice would be to wear layers that you can easily take off by the middle of the day. Start with a pair of jeans and a tank top, then you can add a sweater or cardigan on top. If you need a little extra warmth you can add a jacket or some form of a light coat. By using this formula you can easily ditch the jacket or sweater by the middle of the day and be just fine for the rest of the day. But be sure to keep the sweater or jacket nearby because sometimes it gets a little chilly by the end of the day!

2.      Invest in at least one winter coat

I’m not saying you need to get a super expensive, super warm coat, but at least having something that resembles one can’t hurt. I got a peacoat a few years ago at Forever 21 for about twenty dollars and it was the best investment I ever made. It’s not too thick of material, but it’s thick enough to keep me warm when it’s cold outside. It’s also really cute and resembles that cute fall fashion that we all crave. Places like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe start selling them around this time of year so be sure to keep an eye out for one.

3.      Light scarves can complete an outfit

There’s such thing as a light scarf. They’re generally a lighter fabric that can be worn into the spring season. Scarves come in a different variety of styles and patterns, and they’re usually not too expensive, so it’s worth investing in a few of them. You can wear a light scarf with just about anything in Florida during the fall, whether it be a tank top and jeans, a dress, and so on. It can take your outfit to the next level and also keep you a little bit warmer when it’s cold outside, for all of two hours.

4.      Boots are a must

I know you’re probably thinking by now that I’m clearly in the wrong state if I’m suggesting you wear boots in Florida, but I think they’re an essential during fall no matter where you live. Obviousl,y by Florida standards, you don’t need to get a super warm pair of boots like UGGS, but having a pair of faux leather boots can make your outfit a little more fall friendly. And on top of tha,t they’re not too warm but can still help keep your toes from freezing if it’s chilly outside.  Faux leather boots can be found at about any retail store you can think of and they’re usually fairly priced. Most boots cost about $30 and come in a variety of colors and styles.

5.      Don’t put away any of your summer clothes

While it’s good to invest in some winter clothing, it shouldn’t be taking up most of your wardrobe. We live in Florida where, as I’ve stated previously, it tends to warm up no matter if there’s a cold front or a wind chill or something winter related. With that being said, you don’t want to abandon all your Florida appropriate clothes because you’re probably going to need those clothes well into the winter months.

There you have it! All the tips that you will need for Florida Fall fashion, keep these in mind and feel free to look fabulous during our state’s lack of a season.

Photo Credits:

Tbdress.com

Forever21.com

Bellaellaboutique.com

Catalogs.com

Breakfastatyurmans.tumblr.com

www.redthreadmagazine.com

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.