This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

A shameless promotion of the “Anything Goes” Podcast 

From her first “San Francisco LookBook” to her travels abroad in Amsterdam, I have always been a diehard Emma Chamberlain fan. But why? Besides being a captivating and funny Youtuber, Emma has remained an authentic person before and after she made an appearance at the Met Gala in 2021. 

Emma’s initial videos are what really hit home for me. I also attended a private Catholic school for a portion of my life and seeing that someone else also didn’t have a great experience was comforting. Her “Why I Left High School” video also really inspires those that don’t do well with conventional schooling and promotes that it’s okay to take a different direction with your life. 

As someone who wanted to attend fashion school for the longest time, I anxiously waited for Emma’s thrift hauls and outfit ideas. Emma is an influencer with such a large platform, and how she utilizes it to promote the growth of a personal style and wearing what you like is extremely admirable. Emma actually was the one that convinced me to buy jorts: I am now obsessed. 

Outside of the YouTube realm, I think my love for Emma really grew when she shifted her focus to her podcast, “Anything Goes”. I frequently commute between Tampa and Orlando, so I love listening to podcasts to kill the time. Influencer advice is usually extremely tone deaf and overall out of touch with the reality their listeners are in, but Emma’s segments truly feel like you’re “talking” to a friend. 

“Anything Goes” details life advice on friendships and relationships, while sprinkling in some fashion opinions and comedy. A personal favorite that I’ve been working to incorporate into my life is her two-episode series titled Failure. As a former gifted kid, coming to terms with failure was never in my nature, and when it happened, it was detrimental to my well-being. In the series, Emma details failure in friendships and relationships. Coming to terms with losing a friendship or accepting moments where you’re being a bad friend are necessary things in life that nobody really teaches you. 

In part two of Failure, she hits home for those who don’t try new things because they’re afraid of being bad at it. As many times as I hear “nobody is good when they start”, I will still subconsciously convince myself I need to be a prodigy at everything. Emma works through the discomfort of trying new things, and details how there is room for failure in all of your endeavors, whether creative or work related. Although these ideas are “common knowledge”, sometimes you really need to hear someone say it. That is the true core of “Anything Goes”. Emma takes hard-to-swallow truths about life, or her own takes, and turns them into encouragement to improve in your own self. 

Emma has grown so much in her career since 2017, but her commitment to personal growth really models an authentic transition from teenage life to adulthood. And that is why I will be tuning in every week to “Anything Goes”

Hey! My name is Novalee Knepper and I'm from Orlando, Florida. I'm an environmental science major here at USF. I love reading, journaling, thrifting, and bringing home more plants. I hope to one day write for National Geographic as a journalist.