This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I have had eczema ever since I was a baby, and let me tell you, it gets old. A day does not go by where someone asks me “Oh my gosh, what happened to your arm?” and again, it gets old. You can imagine why I am very eager to do all I can to take care of my body.

For starters, let me say this: love your skin. It is your body, and it is beautiful how it comes. As a society, we need to be more diligent in reducing the stigma surrounding skin conditions so that it is not such an issue for those suffering. The key issue is the pain and discomfort, not the appearance.

There are several steps I like to practice in order to control my flare-ups. No medication has really helped me, so I like to stick to simple, hydrating products.

Photo courtesy of Target

In the shower, I use the Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance-Free Body Wash. I sadly noticed fragrance was only making matters worse, so I recently switched to this body wash and I am so glad I did. First, the size of this product is massive. The oat-based formula is extremely soothing.

Photo courtesy of Amazon

Perhaps the cheapest beauty product I use for my eczema is Vitamin E Oil. Personally, I love Trader Joe’s Vitamin E Oil. It promotes skin healing, soothes itchiness, and hydrates dry patches. Trader Joe’s oil is thick and extremely hydrating, yet it does not leave an oily residue on my hands.

Photo courtesy of @Stepstoglow

In addition to the Vitamin E Oil (I really value my hydration), I like to spot treat my eczema patches with lotions such as the Fur Oil or Lady Suite Oil. Both oils are intensively hydrating and soothing. When used as a spot treatment, I notice an improvement in the dryness and roughness of my eczema.

You can receive 15% Lady Suite with my affiliate code: Stepstoglow15.

Photo courtesy of Target

I like to seal in my Vitamin E Oil and other oils with Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion. This lotion uses Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) to gently exfoliate dead, flaky skin. This is one of the most hydrating, luxe lotions I have ever triedat a price you cannot beat. This does take some time to absorb, so I recommend using this quickly after showering and letting it set in.

Photo courtesy of @Stepstoglow

If you are looking for a bit of a rewarding splurge, the Lush Dream Cream has been my eczema’s best friend for years now. This beautiful cream consists of ingredients such as cocoa butter, olive oil, oat milk, rose, lavender, and chamomile oils. The lavender and chamomile make this the perfect before-bed treat, but I also like keeping it on my nightstand if my eczema wakes me up in the middle of the night. I cannot express how well this cream has worked for me, but the glowing reviews speak for themselves.

This goes without saying, but wash your sheets regularly! Not only will you feel clean and cozy, but you will also have less irritation from sweat, dirt, etc. Be mindful of your detergents and softeners as well.

These products have been my favorite for some time now, and when I use them consistently, I really see a difference in my eczema, ultimately leading to a difference in my mood and confidence.

Love your body, love your skin, love yourself. Sweet dreams!

Raised in Nashville, Tennessee, Michala is currently studying Integrated Public Relations and Advertising at the University of South Florida. Michala is passionate about her faith, coffee shop hopping, and the world of beauty. To see more of Michala's work, check out https://instagram.com/stepstoglow and https://stepstoglow.com
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.