jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Don’t Hate. Appreciate.”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

We all know it, relationships can be a great thing. If your partner is your best friend, your pal, you can be someone who they can lean on in hard times and laugh until you cry with in the good times. If you have a great thing going, we all want to keep great things. At times, we get involuntarily stuck in the monotonous day-in-day-out routines and tend to forget to get a little creative and sentimental in order to show our loved one that they truly do matter.

As they say, actions speak loud and while words are great, actions should always back those words.  I truly think it’s important to have fun in relationships. There are the serious times and funny times and there are the times when things can get bland and boring and let’s face it, that’s just life. But all in all, it’s important to embrace what you have, who you have and to appreciate them always.

With that said, I am going to explore a few principles to work with to make your partner feel appreciated and to make you a more intriguing and solid partner to lean on.

1. Think of ways in which you can help your partner.

Are they extremely overwhelmed in some area in their life that they could use a little help? Or maybe they just need your ear. Sometimes one of the most important things you can do for them is just be there to listen and not say a word.  We get so wrapped up in our own situations, stress, obligations, etc. that we tend to lose focus and get tunnel vision in our own lives and forget to ask our partner how they are REALLY doing.

2. Randomly make it known to them that you are there for them by telling them, literally.

Sit them down in a non-attacking way and assure them that you are there for them and that, yo you got their back ! If you can do one of the most minuscule, yet important things in a relationship such as communicate and do this consistently, it will help prevent and alleviate any bumps in the road between you two. Cater these needs to your relationship in the way that he/she is comfortable; only you know your partner well enough to know how and when is the best time to talk to them. 

3. Follow through with actions.

You can sit them down and tell them all day that you’re there for them, but showing them that you are is everything. Bring them lunch one day when they’re busy at work or school. Show up to the library with a surprise coffee, smoothie or snack after they have been cramming for hours on end for that exam; this shows that you are first and foremost attentive to what is going on with them and second showing that you took the time to be there for them.  People appreciate these things!  The ideas are limitless; the point is to show your partner that you are there no matter what the situation is. And the actions, whether big or small will be appreciated in a great relationship and help you both grow in the relationship.

4. Flirt, compliment and point out the perks. 

Compliment the heck out of them. Make it be known to them that you are still crazy about them. Relationship morale is SO important. We all need a lift every once in a while whether we want to admit it or not.  Flirt with them! I don’t care if you have been with them for only a few weeks, to a month or a few years, flirt. It is fun to flirt, it’s playful and it brings on a positive edge to the relationship. Get creative with this, throw them some lines that used to make them laugh; this can reignite things between the two of you and again it will show how much you appreciate them and care/love them for who they are.  

5. Date them

Between your busy class/work schedules make sure you take the time to set time to date. It doesn’t have to be an extravagant night, either.  Whether it’s a live music pub night or a quiet movie and take out night, make it time for you two only.

We all get busy, but at the same time we love being with who we care about and it’s important to take the time to maintain that because we don’t want to lose what really matters. So get creative, explore, talk, relate, understand, be patient and be the better you in the relationship.  Ultimately, keep things in perspective. Remind yourself and them why you’re together in the first place. The bottom line is relationships take work and if you’re willing to put the effort in to show you care and appreciate them you will always have that solid foundation to grow from together.

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.