This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

You might remember Megan Joy from season eight of American Idol (AKA the year Kris Allen won).  She was the outspoken single mother from Utah with a classical voice and a sleeve tattoo.  After being voted off (too soon), Megan Joy has tried to balance her passion for music and her number one job of being a mother.  She released her debut self-titled album with some help from her fans via Kickstarter.  On January 15, her brand new album Free To Fly hit iTunes and it is brimming with jams and heartfelt ballads.

Allow us to introduce you to Megan Joy with a rundown of her latest tunes.

1. Boy Next Door

Favorite lyric: “You shared your headphones and we bobbed our heads to Paul’s Boutique.  And I think I was in love before you flipped the tape.”

The album begins with a strong pop song that reminisces on young love.  Between the catchy production and lyrics, you will be singing along by the second chorus.

2. Like A Secret

Favorite lyric: “My whole life has led me to this.  Should I give up or should I persist?”

Undoubtedly about meeting her husband (Quinn Allman of The Used), this song explores the theme of living a double life.  “I’ll keep you like a secret,” she sings about finding love in LA.  It’s a secret no more.  They won that “tattooed lottery.”

3. Some Girls

Favorite lyric: “I’m not the little doormat; you can’t step on me like that.”

Megan shows off her defiant side in this thumping anthem.  I don’t know who pissed her off, but she sure showed them who has the power!

4. Feel Love

Favorite lyric: “I’ve always been so scared of lonely.  I’m loneliest when I am with you.”

With this track, Megan does what few artists can.  She balances heavy, emotional lyrics with a perfect pop track.  Neither the message nor the music gets lost.  It is all balanced.

5. Incomplete

Favorite lyric: “Night comes only in dreams, and every breath I take is my own.”

Loneliness is the theme of this ballad as well.  However, it is completely distinguishable from “Feel Love.”  The message here is not needing someone to make you feel complete.  Your happiness is not reliant on someone else’s presence.

6. Double Life

Favorite lyric: “It’s a double life I’m leading.  It’s a miracle I’m breathing.”

Clearly, the theme here is struggling with a dual lifestyle.  Megan sings about her struggle with being a mother while also following her dreams.  Her regret for being away from her son is a sentiment all working parents can relate to.

7. Spell It Out

Favorite lyric: “I was young and I was dumb, but I was never in love.”

This song should be a hit.  A strong beat pulses as Megan sings about trying to get it through a guy’s head that it is never going to happen.  She’ll spell it out for him, letter by letter until she breaks his heart.

8. I’m Not Tryin’ to Hear That

Favorite lyric: “Just get the hell out before I pop you in the mouth.”

If you were a fan of Megan’s during her run on American Idol, you understood her sense of humor.  Select lyrics in this pop jam will give you a chuckle, especially “Now I’m livin’ like a villain, baby.”

9. Lovesick

Favorite lyric: “One minute I’m mad, the next one I laugh like I forgot to take my meds.”

Megan’s voice has never sounded better than on this pop-rock song about the craziness of falling in love.  The lyrics are relatable, fun and unique.  The pop-rock production suits Megan’s voice just as well as the R&B production of “Spell It Out.”

10. Shooting Stars

Favorite lyric: “Last night with the moon out, I climbed straight to a hilltop.  Stared at the stars around me, let the tears fall until they stopped.”

The poignant pop-rock ballad tells the story of someone wishing on shooting stars that their true love will find them.  Megan sings, “Shooting stars finally saved me.”  The song gives the listener a sense of hope.  Just keep wishing and your wildest dreams may come true.

11. Free To Fly

Favorite lyric: “I remember a time, a place, a memory.  My heart was redefined.”

“Free To Fly” is the happy ending/sequel to “Rainclouds” from Megan’s first album.  This song is Megan doing what she does best: spreading cheer.  Keep shining, indeed.

12. Sweet Love

Favorite lyric: “Heartstrings pulled too tight, I can’t get this right.  Watching my life pass me by.  I face the pale moonlight.  Have I lost this fight?”

“I’m waiting for you, my sweet love,” Megan sings in this big, powerful ballad.  The production, the lyrics, the vocals—it’s all amazing.  Don’t be surprised if you hear this song on a movie trailer soon.  Remember her name. 

PHOTO CREDIT:http://meganjoy.net/photo_gallery/

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.