nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

In Defense of Sensitivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I have never been one to hold back my emotions. I have always reacted very deeply to the different events in my life, and by this, I mean that I cry a lot. I was always taught that crying is a bad thing, that keeping my emotions in check is more important, and that I am weak because of my overactive tear ducts. These ideas have been drilled into me from a very young age, but I have never learned that lesson.

Photo courtesy of DepositPhotos

This is because I do not agree with them.

I know that there are times when I am facing conflict or confrontation, and my first instinct should not be to cry. Sometimes this aspect of my personality and way of dealing with things is not the right route. I am aware of that and am actively working on it.

Photo courtesy of Lizzy Hoffman When it comes to watching Coco in a packed theater and bawling, or seeing a cute dog and shedding a few tears, or getting so frustrated with everything that I start sobbing, I think that should be okay. I am perfectly content knowing that interacting with a dachshund puppy on the sidewalk will turn me into a puddle of tears. If people give me an odd look, I am all good, and I feel cleansed.

Photo courtesy of PuppySpot

I just want those who may be like me to know that it is not something to be ashamed of. You might have friends or family that recoil at the mere idea of showing any emotion, and they could be happy that way, but please do not let them, or anyone else, make you feel bad because you are “too sensitive” or “a crybaby.” Wear those titles as a badge of honor. They mean you care.

Photo courtesy of WeHeartIt

Lizzy is majoring in Creative Writing and will receive her degree in the spring. She loves iced coffee, dachshunds, politics (though not really the climate right now), Harry Styles, vine compilations, and so much more. She can't wait to pursue writing further when she graduates.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.