This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you probably have drawers and a closet full of clothes you haven’t worn in months. Goodwill is always a good way to get rid of stuff but you can also profit off of these old things that you’ve been letting take up space.

Photo by Usplash

First, I’d like to mention that The Salvation Army is not an option I utilize, personally. This is because I’ve learned that the housing facilities they have for the homeless and those in need are not in good living condition and I’ve also learned that they pocket a good amount of donations they raise. Once I learned that about the Salvation Army, I decided that it’s just not something I want to support.

Ways you can profit off of old clothes and other items are as follows; Depop, Poshmark, Plato’s Closet, any local thrift store and even your own Instagram page. You have to get creative if you’re serious about making money off of your old things. Of course, there are things that some people may not want to pay for but you’ll never know what people will be willing to pay for if you don’t even try to put the work in. I exercise most of these options to make the most out of my old things. My final result is always to donate whatever I didn’t make money off of after a few months of allowing people the opportunity to buy it.

Photo by Unsplash

On Instagram you can always sell from your personal page and advertise your clothing through posts or story posts. I decided to make a page solely dedicated to selling clothing just because I have so many items I want to sell and I’m constantly getting rid of more things. Selling things on Instagram is better when you’re selling locally. Poshmark and Depop are the same basic idea as social media networks except they’re both specifically for selling items and have options where the buyer pays for shipping through the app instead of shipping being on you which I like a lot about them both. The biggest difference is that Depop is more for a younger demographic than Poshmark is. Dropping clothes off at paying thrift stores like Platos is always easy. The only downfall is that they can be rather picky with what they choose to buy from you, they pay you whatever they decide for your items and it’s completely subjective.

Photo by Unsplash

Long story-short, stop hoarding things and make money! If you haven’t worn it in months, chances are that you probably aren’t going to wear it. Get these items to someone who’ll put them to good use so you can put their money to good use. I highly recommend exercising every possible way of selling the items you want to get rid of before deciding to donate. Just because you may not want your stuff, you never know what people are willing to spend good money to get their hands on. Happy selling!

Photo by Unsplash

I am a mass comm/print journalism major at The University of South Florida with a sociology minor expecting to graduate in May of 2020. I am an activist, ally, womanist, coffee enthusiast, ravenclaw and an aquarius. 
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.