Life > Experiences

Dealing with a Long-Distance Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

College is so different. Many people move away from home and everything they’ve known. Yes, the new adventure is amazing, and you are on your way to a whole new chapter in your life, but there is something that most people deal with, and it’s one of the hardest things about going away to college.

Photo courtesy of Alexa Hilston

College means moving away from your best friends. Maybe you are lucky enough that you stayed relatively close to them, but many people don’t fall into that category. My best friends and I were forced to go our separate ways. Although we wished we could be close to one another, Angelica goes to Florida Atlantic University, Hannah goes to the University of Central Florida, Nicole goes to Florida State University, and I am at the University of South Florida.

I’m not going to lie; the transition was ROUGH. I was so used to seeing them every day at school and quite a few times during the summer. Going to a completely new school in a completely different city with completely different people was scary enough, but not having my best friends there was the worst. 

We all knew going into it that it would be a hard start. During the summer, we tried to see each other as much as possible. Right before we left, we went to the beach to watch the sunrise and spent the day just hanging out. Spending time together helped us create more amazing memories to look back on when we miss each other. 

During any break, it’s good to reconnect with your closest friends. It’s the perfect time to catch up on each other’s lives and spend time together. 

Photo courtesy of Alexa Hilston

When the school year came around, it became harder to come home when everyone has different schedules. Trying to plan a time to see each other was impossible. Technology is constantly criticized for all the negative drawbacks, but when you miss the ones you love, it’s a lifesaver. There are so many different ways to communicate, whether it be talking on the phone, texting, Snapchatting or FaceTiming, and it made our lives so much easier to contact each other. Obviously, scheduling can be hard, but if you’re a spreadsheet nerd (like my friends and I), the easiest thing to do is put all of your schedules into one place. 

Photo courtesy of Alexa Hilston

College can be a challenge, and being without some of your favorite people can make this whirlwind of changes harder to adjust to. I always remember that despite how far away they may physically be, with technology, they are only a call away.

Alexa Hilston is a student at the University of South Florida majoring in elementary education and minoring in communications. In addition to being a member of Her Campus at USF, Alexa also is social media manager for USF Hockey and vice president of PUCKerUp Sports. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, going to Disney, creating content, hammocking, and drinking water.