This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

True healing occurs when we give ourselves permission to take care of ourselves and to feel everything. Sometimes it can be overwhelming and frustrating, but it’s important to take time out of your day to replenish your soul’s energy. One outlet for self-care is through crystals. 

Crystals are more than just pretty stones used for decoration and accessories. They are stones that hold energy from the earth, which heals and improves one’s mental, physical, and spiritual health. Crystals are also a support system that allows one to be present in the moment, feel the powerful, soothing energy, and set positive intentions for oneself. Crystals are a great tool to use to move forward on your life path. 

Below is a brief introduction to some crystals that are great to start with.

Amethyst

What it’s for: Calming and intuition

What it is: Amethyst is a stone that attracts positive energy and is a natural stress reliever that holds stability, strength, and inner peace. It is great for meditation and enhancing one’s intuition because it provides mental clarity.

Healing properties: The stone helps to calm the mind, reduce insomnia, reduce stress, and ease headaches. Amethyst also helps with hormone production, strengthens the immune system, cleansing organs and respiratory system, and reduces bruising and swelling. Additionally, amethyst helps with the function of the pineal and pituitary glands.

What chakras it enhances: Third Eye & Crown

Aquamarine

What it’s for: Clarity and purification 

What it is: Aquamarine is a stone that helps bring closure to unresolved situations. It is especially great for promoting self-courage and elevating fears and phobias. It is also great for meditation and brings balance and calmness to the entire body, mind, and soul.

Healing properties: The stone helps calm the nerves and reduce fluid retention. It helps with a sore throat and strengthens the kidneys, liver, spleen, and pituitary and thyroid glands.

What chakras it enhances: All chakras, especially the throat.

Black Tourmaline

What it’s for: Support 

What it is: Black Tourmaline is a very supportive stone that protects you from external influences like stress, tension, and negative energy. It grounds and anchors the energy within our physical bodies, promoting inner wisdom, mastery, individuality, stability, courage, and patience. 

Healing properties: The stone helps with sleep, strengthens the immune system and provides pain relief. It also helps with the adrenal glands, kidneys, spinal column, colon & legs.

What chakras it enhances: Base/Root 

Clear Quartz

What it’s for: Energy 

What it is: Clear Quartz is known as a powerful and universal healing stone. It works on all areas of the mind and body, removing negativity, improving memory, and providing awareness and clarity of mind. 

Healing properties: It can be used across the whole body on its own or to amplify the energy of other crystals. Clear Quartz stimulates and balances the energy of the whole body, boosting the immune system. It is also great for soothing and healing burns, balancing emotions, and activating the pineal and pituitary glands.

What chakras it enhances: All Chakras

Rose Quartz

What it’s for: Love and peace

What it is: Rose Quartz is a stone that reduces stress, anger, and tension, allowing us to express unconditional love, sensitivity, and compassion towards ourselves and others. It brings deep inner healing, enhancing and promoting self-love, self-trust, self-worth, and self-confidence. It can also be used to attract love into our lives and maintain happy loving relationships.

Healing properties: The stone helps heal and strengthen the heart and circulatory system. It promotes the healing of respiratory problems and releasing of impurities from the body. It is also used to increase fertility.

What chakras it enhances: Heart

Tiger Eye

What it’s for: Personal power and confidence

What it is: Tiger Eye is a stone that brings confidence, strength, courage, protection, and good luck. Tiger Eye sharpens the senses and promotes intuition. The stone also helps you to be practical, centered, and grounded. It enhances personal power, clarity, good judgment, insight, and helps with good decision making. It can also be used to stimulate wealth and maintain it.

Healing properties: The stone balances emotions, reduces headaches and helps with the digestive organs, spleen, pancreas, and colon. It also helps the reproductive system, relieves asthma attacks, and enhances night vision.

What chakras it enhances: Sacral & Solar Plexus

Fluorite

What it’s for: Focus and protection

What it is: Fluorite is a stone that promotes focus, intuition, and understanding. It helps promote stability, free-thinking, and clear unbiased reasoning. It is great for meditation and is highly protective, drawing away negative energy and stress by cleansing and purifying the body.

Healing properties: The stone strengthens teeth and bones, helps with spine and arthritic conditions, protects against common illnesses such as colds and flu, treats highly infectious diseases, and helps with emotional trauma.

What chakras it enhances: Third Eye

If you are interested in learning more about crystals or purchasing them, I have recommended some sites in the sources below. May the quartz be with you!

Crystal VaultsEnergy MuseMystic Journey CrystalsEarthbound Trading CompanyThe Bodhi TreeEarth Angel Gifts LLCWe Rock RocksLive in the LightMariposa GemsArt by Jac StudioGet Wired In CraftsJay Oshe Tarot & CrystalsBraeden’s Crystals

Senior at the University of South Florida majoring in Mass Communications. Hobbies include photography, sketching, digital drawing, exercising, and talking nonstop. Greek Cypriot Vegan passionate about climate change, justice, human rights and animal rights.
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!