This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

All over social media, crocheting has taken over. From making plushies to blankets, back to dresses and bags, the limits of crocheting seem endless. Countless small businesses have sprung up, with each selling items and patterns. I fell victim to “CrochetTok” in December of 2022, with the insane amounts of cute Amigurumi plushies consuming me to the point I found myself in a pine-cone smelling Micheal’s. It was either paying $50 for a bunny in a cat costume, which looked incredibly cute, incredibly soft, and incredibly huggable, or me learning how to make it myself, making the price $0 (as the price of materials doesn’t count). That is where my new obsession began, and with that, I embarked on my egregious journey fighting yarn with a hook in hopes that after 6 hours of effort, finger pain, and lots of confusion, it would result in a tiny cute ghost. This did not happen. In fact, my first project had stuffing coming out of it. With my ghost looking more like a deformed blob than anything. But, we all have to start from somewhere.

Fast-forward to now, two years later, and I can now make plushies, clothing, bags, and granny squares, with my latest project being a Kuromi keychain. I have taken an officer position at USF’s Crochet Club with my position being the Mentor Program Chair. So after two years of experience, countless failed projects, and experience with mentoring people in crochet, I am here to offer special tips and tricks so the yarn ball doesn’t conquer you. Rather, you too, can open those cute Etsy shops where someone, somewhere, hugs the little mushroom guy you made.  

Before anything, you need materials. 

Hook

I recommend getting a hook with a size 6mm and up. Not only will this size be easier to handle, but the stitches made with it will also be larger, making it easier to count stitches and find loops (Don’t worry, we will discuss these terms in later chapters).

Yarn

Clearly, yarn is needed to crochet. I recommend getting acrylic yarn as it’s look and texture make it easier to work with. Not only is it easy to use, but cheap too! And trust, as a beginner, you will make mistakes but that’s part of the journey. 

Stitch markers

When I first started I believed that I did not need stitch markers. I was incredibly wrong, as that not only setback my efficiency but also lowered the quality of my work. These little markers not only help you keep track of when you start a row (the terminology will be in the next chapter) but also where to insert your hook. Please get these!

needles

If you are planning to make anything in crochet, trust me, needles will be needed. Not those tiny, fidgety needles, but yarn needles. These will be needed to weave ends, finish projects, and make details. I suggest getting metal ones, as they are more durable, but plastic ones are also good!

scissors

This one is a little obvious. But please, invest in getting good scissors. 

a bag

And lastly, but certainly not least, a bag. Preferably a cute one! You will need this bag not only to put all your materials inside of it but to take your projects on the go with you. You may not realize it now but, once you crochet in, you cannot crochet out. I take my projects in the car, waiting for a friend, and even the beach. 

These are the main materials I found myself needing as a beginner. With these, you will embark on the journey to crochet. Have fun!! Please stay tuned for the next chapter. :D

mar is a double major in international studies & world languages and culture at usf. she hopes to go to law school after graduating to pursue international human rights law. she can be found daydreaming about love, making a million playlists on spotify, or crocheting the night away. legend says she dilly-dallies around the campus...