Counting Down to Christmas: Support Your Local School Programs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Many schools host holiday concerts or programs leading up to winter break. Here are three reasons why you should attend these programs and support your local school. 

1) It’s about the kids

The programs and concerts that schools put on are a great way for students to show off what they have learned throughout the school year so far. As college students, we have all been there and know just how much work we put in as students. Attending these events is a great way to let students know that you understand just how hard they work and that you are proud of their accomplishments. 

2) It’s a confidence boost

The programs and concerts that schools present usually come not only with the stress of being graded for the students, but also with the stress of performing in front of an audience. The more people that attend to support them, the better. While seeing the curtains open to an auditorium full of people can be terrifying, hearing the applause and all of the “Great job!” comments afterward can give a student a confidence boost that helps prepare them to face more stressful events in the future. 

3) The arts are important 

The arts are severely underfunded in schools. Showing up to these events is not only a great way to show your support for the students, but also for the programs as a whole. The arts are an important way to broaden thinking skills and encourage healthy forms of self-expression for students. 

At the end of the day, going to these events will brighten your mood and the moods of the students performing. So, go to your niece’s elementary school or your nephew’s middle school or your child’s preschool and sit through three renditions of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. You’ll find that no matter how bad the performance is, you’ll wind up leaving with a smile. 

(Photos by Kaitlin Anderson)