Code-Switching: A Cultural Language Creation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

What is code switching?

And I am not talking about some complicated computer-science term. I am talking about how we may speak differently with our friends, then let’s say, a professor or our boss. Everyone code switches. But code switching can take different forms, especially for people of color. From a Latinx perspective that can mean speaking broken, but proper, Spanish with abuelita, trying to find the right words to explain how classes are going, or casual Spanglish with your cousins or friends. You can go from speaking English with professors and classmates, then back to Spanish when you get home because your mom wants you to keep the language.

Photo courtesy of Indra Valdez

The other day on Facebook, I saw a really funny video “Pero Like” Buzzfeed video, where Julissa comes into work, code switches at least five or six times in the span of walking into work, and then grabbing some cereal and a cup of coffee. It was hilarious to watch and very relatable. The video goes to show that the cultures and language we grow up around can have a big impact on how we speak with co-workers, classmates, friends, and family.

Photo courtesy of Twitter

It gets more complex as different ethnicities, races, and cultures mix. I am half black and half Latinx, so code switching is second nature to me. My boyfriend gets confused when I shout out Spanish words when driving or watching the news. I have to be mindful of word choice with different groups of friends. This is not limited to everyday small talk or making plans. Code switching can affect how you talk about very important and controversial topics as well. Politics, discussions on race and class, current events, and even campus gossip all can viewed under a different lens depending on who you are talking to, and how you talk. For me at least, Spanglish offers a sense of familiarity, for it reminds me of being back home; however, most of my friends have no clue what I am saying when I interject words or phrases I heard growing up. One of my best friends and I often get frustrated we do not speak each other’s mother tongues, because we feel that we would be able to connect a lot better if we were on the same linguistic wavelength.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest  

I know I am not the only person who experiences this, so I wonder, do you code-switch? Do you speak any languages at home other than English? How does this affect you when you interact with English-speaking only peers?

Indra Valdez is a Junior at the University of South Florida. Her major is Professional Writing and after graduating she wants to attend law school so that she can practice in advocacy law. Her interests include coffee, food, current events, travel and art.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.