ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Class Registration Without the Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Here are 5 easy steps to get through registering for next semester without all of the stress.

#1 Make a List
Make a list of classes you need or want to take before your registration time. To do this you can go to DegreeWorks on your USF Oasis account and see what you still need. This is a great way to visually see whether you’re on track or not and if you may already have some credits for that minor you were considering. Write out a list of more than five classes that will benefit you, because let’s face it – they fill up quick. Nothing is more stressful than trying to find a class last minute to have enough credit hours for that semester.

#2 Make an Advising Appointment
Advising is NOT just an annoying requirement for freshman. An advising appointment can be very useful to figure out what you need to graduate. They know all the credits you need and all of the options you need to fulfill those credits. Unless you enjoy waiting in line, your best bet is to make an advising appointment. Open office hours tend to result in long lines, which can add to registration stress. Appointment slots fill up fast around registration time, so if you’re thinking early enough ahead of time make an advising appointment before your registration time.

#3 Go to Advising
If you couldn’t come up with more than three or four classes on your list, advisors are a great resource for figuring out what else you can take that will benefit your degree. If you don’t understand DegreeWorks well enough to do step one, or you just don’t want to take the time to scroll all the way through it, advising is a step that you don’t want to miss. If you do have your list, taking it to your advising appointment will make the appointment quick and painless. Give your advisor a chance to look over some options you’re interested and let them double check that they will keep you on track.

#4 Schedule Ahead of Time

Just because you can’t officially start registering for classes until some odd-ball time of a day a week from now doesn’t mean you can’t start picking out a schedule. Start looking through the class schedule search on Oasis and figure out which classes are a priority to register for based on their availability Planning this way helps you decide what classes you might need a replacement for in case you can’t get them.  A useful way to help plan a schedule is to use an online calendar, such as Google calendar, in the week view and start filling time slots to make sure you don’t have any overlaps. This is a great way to visually see your schedule before you commit to it. It also allows you to see what time slots are open for extra-curricular activities like work availability, sports practices, or just time with friends. Take note of the CRNs for the classes you want at the times you want and have them ready for your registration time.

#5 Jump on it
As soon as you can register, do it! Because classes fill up so quickly there is no time to waste. As long as you have prepared well enough in advance all you should have to do is add in CRNs and you’re ready to go. As long as you give yourself time to prepare, registration will be a breeze and stress free.   

I am an editorial writer for Her Campus USF!
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.