Carson Sadro: Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Carson Sadro is a senior at USF majorining in Econonics, alumni of Chi Omega, and Supervisor of Elections in Student Government. She’s on the Pre-Law track, citing mock trials and learning to dissect the law as experiences that sparked her interest in becoming a lawyer, first a prosecutor, and later in life, a judge.

Carson’s interests include traveling, and says “My first year here I think I took like taken six different road trips in one semester,” citing the adventure and fun as a primary reason for her travels.

After college, she hopes to take on Europe, and really become immersed in the culture, but not spend time in tourist traps or hotspots. “I want to just pick a really random small Italian town just live there for a month. My dad has a list of a couple little ones and one day I’ll use his list and make it over.” 

Carson has also been involved in Greek Life, going through recruitment in her freshman year, and joining Chi Omega. “My parents live kind of far away so having that family unit here was really comforting.” In Panhellenic, Carson was a recruitment counselor and then Vice President for Recruitment, which she says is similar to being Supervisor of Elections. 

Carson (pictured left) is currently running the general election, in which 60 seats open in the Senate, and students may run for President and Vice President. “The last couple of years there was a lot of, just, trouble around elections…With my Pre-law background, I love fixing things. That really interested me in the position (as Supervisor of Elections) is that I saw something that really needed to be re-vamped and needed to go back to aligning with our Constitution.” This election is extremely important, like any general election, because the candidates that will eventually become Senators will be in charge of allocating all of USF’s A&S funding, which comes directly out of our tution. Many of us want to know where our money is going, and being a Senator allows you to represent your college and the best interest of the students. 

(From Left to Right: Sarah Pierce, Zachary Macfarland, Carson Sadro, and Jasmine Mattear, the Election Rules Commission.)

To help have a say in where your money is going, Carson says, “Either run for Senate, or take an active interest in who’s running to lead Student Government, whether that be the Student Body President or Senator.” 

To people who are reserved about being involved, she says, “Something I always said to people when I was a recruitment counselor was that I think it’s important to be involved in at least two things on campus. My philosophy is that you should be involved in something that you’re really dedicated to and another organization that pushes you outside of your comfort zone…College is all about learning and growing and becoming who you’re meant to be.”

To those who might run to push their personal political agenda: “That’s absolutely not why you’re elected to a position.” 

Carson’s hope for this election is to get as many people involved as possible, and see people who are genuinely interested in representing the majority of students, “and Andy (Rodriguez, President,) and Mike (Malanga, Vice President), have done a really great job with that.”

Senate applications are due Friday, February 5th, at 5pm in MSC4300, the Student Government suite.

Cera is a junior at the University of South Florida currently majoring in Women and Gender Studies. She has an on-campus job as a receptionist and is the Editor-in-Chief of the USF Her Campus Chapter. Her goals and aspirations after graduation include graduate school, teaching English abroad, teaching at the university level, writing novels, and adopting every dog. 
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.