BTS Gets Introspective: A Look at Their New Single ‘Black Swan’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

K-pop sensation BTS is back with a brand-new single for their fourth full-length album “Map of the Soul: 7,” and it’s a mix of everything in your emo dreams. With its thumping bass and introspective lyrics, the release of “Black Swan” has the global superstars coming into the new year on the right foot.

To accompany the single, the group collaborated with Slovenian dance troop MN Dance Company, whose team interpreted the lyrics with a haunting contemporary choreography film. The art film was shot in an abandoned mall, which adds to its eerie mood.

A post shared by MN DANCE COMPANY (@mndancecompany) on

The video begins with a quote by dancer Martha Graham: “A dancer dies twice — once they stop dancing, and this first death is more painful.”

This quote ties into the overall message of the song. The main idea of the track speaks on the struggles of the relationship between art and artist, and how the worry of losing passion for their work is always looming. This relationship is explained specifically in the lyrics rapped by leader Kim Namjoon,

“If this can no longer resonate

No longer make my heart vibrate 

Then like this may be how

I die my first death

A post shared by BTS official (@bts.bighitofficial) on

The dance film is something new compared to what the South Korean band has tried before, as this comeback has been filled with an overall theme of how art connects to one’s persona. An additional way they’ve achieved this concept is through their collaborations with modern artists to display exhibitions in a variety of cities such as Seoul, New York City, London and more before the release of their new album.

Since the release of this single, the group has released a music video with main rapper Jung Hoseok titled “Outro: EGO,” which continues to tie into the theme of the work that goes into being a creative.

“Map of the Soul: 7” was released February 21 on all streaming platforms.

Magazine journalism major who takes her birth chart very seriously. Writes anything music, lifestyle, or whatever topic her brain decides to fixate on that week.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.