burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bring Old Clothes Back To Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.
Many women naturally have closets full of clothing. Since the fashions change with each season, 

many of us try our hardest to keep up with the times and that means accumulating clothing in the 

backs of closets and shoved into dresser drawers. Instead of cramming clothes into drawers or 

throwing them away because you never wear them, take those old clothes and turn them into 

something new. Clothing can be used for more than what you use them for now. There are 

literally hundreds of different uses for different items of clothing so don’t throw them away, give 

them a new purpose in life. Below are just some of the amazing uses clothing serves. 

1. Long sleeve shirt into a wrap skirt.

If you have a long sleeve shirt that you no longer want to wear, change it into a cute wrap skirt 

perfect for the beach, pool or even a casual dinner. 

2. Denim jacket into cargo vest

Here in Florida, sleeves serve a very limited purpose, making things like denim jackets useless in 

the warmer weather. Don’t throw it away, take the jacket, some scissors, and presto, you have a 

sleeveless denim cargo vest that’s perfect for the spring and summer. 

3. T-shirt into a shirt for a night out

Have an old raggedy t-shirt? Well make a few alterations and you will be left with a shirt you 

can wear for a night out with friends. Just cut out the sleeves, the neckline and make slits all 

along the back of the shirt in a v-form. 

4. T-shirt into turban headband

Taking an old t-shirt and cutting it in half can serve two purposes: lets you update your messy 

bun and gives the t-shirt you are never going to wear a new job. Just make some twists and tie it 

in a knot to make a headband and take your messy bun to a new level.

5. Old shirt into a statement necklace

This one is seriously cool. Just cut the shirt into strips and string it on a chain to make a necklace 

that calls attention and is way less money than some of the statement necklaces in the malls. 

6. Worn out t-shirt into no sew tote bag

Make a new tote bag completely out of an old and worn t-shirt. This allows you the chance to 

have a different bag whenever you want; just take a t-shirt, cut fringe from the bottom, tie the 

fringe strips together two at a time and there you have it, a new tote bag. 

7. Sweaters into pillow covers

If you have a sweater you never wear, just make it into a pillow cover. All you need is to put the 

pillow inside of the sweater – it helps if the sweater has a wide neck – and hem the top and 

bottom closed and then use the sleeves to tie a bow on the top or just cut them off and hem the 

holes shut. 

There are so many uses for your old clothes so there is no need to throw anything away. Having 

so many different uses allows you to reuse old clothes and lets you save money because you do 

not need to buy new things – just make them out of your old clothes.
Student at the University of South Florida. Sister and Corresponding Secretary of Gamma Phi Beta. Artist, writer, and animal lover.