Blind Dating: Why Everyone Should Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The idea of going on a blind date can be nerve-wracking. But contrary to popular belief, sometimes blind dating can lead to happy, healthy relationships. Despite the horror stories you may read in a Buzzfeed article, there are good reasons to consider accepting an invitation from a friend who likes to play matchmaker:

1.   Blind dating allows you to meet someone in person and find out who they really are, instead of reading about them on a dating profile. Instead of swiping left or right on a picture of someone, you go out and learn about the person on a date. It allows you both to be vulnerable and trust your own judgement. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find out that you are compatible.

2.   Blind dating pushes you out of your comfort zone. We all know what we like in someone and create “that list” in our minds of characteristics we want our significant other to meet: tall, dark hair, nice eyes, a good paying job, etc. But blind dates are a great way to meet people you wouldn’t normally consider. In the movie Beauty and the Briefcase (c’mon, who doesn’t love a good Hilary Duff movie?), the main character, Lane, has a “perfect list” of what she wants. In the end, she realizes that the person she fell for was the complete opposite of her list. By taking a chance and not looking for what we want, we may find someone better then we expected.

Photo from Lifetime Asia

Do you trust your friends to set you up? Blind dates give you a chance to see how well your friend group knows you. Your friends have your best interests at heart. They want to see you happy. Next time you want to go on a date, see if your friends have anyone mind for you.

If Cupid’s arrow doesn’t strike, another way your friends can help you with blind dating is getting you out of the date. When you’re on a date and feel like the chemistry just isn’t there or you’re uncomfortable, have your friends call you with an excuse.

“Back in the day we used to have a code word, and we would call our friends and tell them the word. Then they would come to the place and give us an emergency to leave,” said Linda Holzwarth, mother of Her Campus USF writer Megan Holzwarth.

Remember that you don’t have to say yes to meeting every suitor. Ask your matchmaker a little bit about the person—not only so you have something to talk about on the date, but also so you can determine if you want to go on the date to begin with. For example, if you’re looking for someone who’s social, but your potential date isn’t one for going out on the weekends, it’s okay to politely turn down the date night. Finally, ask the matchmaker if your date is looking for a long-term relationship or just a fling. If your intentions aren’t the same, then it may be wise to skip this date. You don’t want to waste your time if it’s not going to work out because of different intentions.

Have you ever been on a blind date, or are you the matchmaker of your friend group? Let me know in the comments!

Photos from Pixabay unless noted otherwise.

Writer for Her Campus at USF. Mass Comm. major at USF. Dream job to work for Cosmopolitan in New York.
I began at Her Campus USF as a writer in Spring 2017. Then, served as Senior Editor in Fall 2017 and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. I am passionate about writing, social media, and graphic design. I am a portrait photographer and a self-proclaimed makeup junkie. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cc_red13 to connect!