nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Black Heritage Month at USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

February 1st marks the start of Black History Month. This month is an annual celebration of all the accomplishments and achievements by African Americans. University of South Florida calls this month Black Heritage Month. The mission of Black Heritage Month is to educate both the campus and others in the Tampa Bay area about the significance of the black history and culture.

Photo courtesy of news.northeastern.edu

Black Heritage Month’s theme this year is “Sankofa: Incorporating our Past into the Present to Make Progress for the Future.” According to USF, this theme is revolved around the idea that in order to move forward successfully, one must go back to what the past has to teach one’s self. There will be more information at the Sankofa Celebration on February 28th at 5 p.m.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

USF hosts a variety of fun events to celebrate and to learn more about black history. The large variety is great because there is something for everyone.

Here is a list of the different types of events they have going on during this month:

Informative Events

• From February 1 to February 27: Learn about African Diaspora throughout the Marshall Student Center.
  • February 23: Black Heritage Expo

Concerts

• February 21: USF Jazz Ensemble

• February 22: 3 RD Annual Black Composer Choral Concert

Clubs/Organizations

• February 4: Black Student Union General Body Meetings (every other Monday)
  • February 18-22: Religion and the Black Experience

Career

• February 25: African American Nurses & Entrepreneurs in Tampa Bay Community Nursing Building

Other

• February 5: Showing of the Movie Hidden Figures
  • February 22: Black Jeopardy
  • February 28: Lessons from Michelle Obama’s Memoir: Becoming

Check out the full calendar of events for more details. 

Photo courtesy of @lectureusf via Instagram

We need to remember that just because February represents Black History Month, does not mean this should be the only month to be celebrate. We should celebrate everyone’s past and present accomplishments all throughout the year. I hope everyone checks out some of the events happening around campus this month.

Photo courtesy of nysenate.gov

I am a Senior at the University of South Florida majoring in Communication and on a pre-med track. I love Taylor Swift, going to concerts, and all things Disney.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.