Career

Bessie Coleman: The First Licensed African American Female Pilot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Black history month is about celebrating the achievements of African Americans and the important roles they have played in American History. After researching the topic African American achievements, I came across Bessie Colman’s life and how she inspired me.

Photo courtesy of Flying Magazine

Bessie Coleman was born on January 26, 1892, into poverty, in Atlanta Georgia. During her adolescence, she was committed to harvesting cotton to help provide for her family. Bessie was the tenth of thirteen children. From a young age she established herself as a dedicated, hardworking student with a passion for adventure.

Photo courtesy of Amazing Women in History

At the age of 23, she moved to Chicago to live with some relatives. She was captivated by passionate stories that were told by returning World War I pilots. Those stories inspired her to pursue a career in aviation.

During this time in the United States, there were no opportunities for neither women nor African Americans, but Coleman did not let that stop her. There were opportunities in France to fly as a black woman, so she began to study French and eventually made her way across the Atlantic to France with the help of one Robbery Abbot, one of the first African American billionaires. While in France, Coleman earned pilots license.

Photo Courtesy of Pioneers of Flight

After her time in France, she decided to return back to the United States where news of her success as the first African-American woman to earn a pilot’s license spread across the nation. When Coleman returned, the press and her newfound supporters welcomed her back with open arms.

Photo Courtesy of Alamy

Back at home, Coleman began to make a living by flying in airshows across the country. She became known as “Queen Bess.” She was an amazing flyer who performed stunts like 360 loops with finesse and ease. Crowds were drawn to her determination as a flyer. She would not let anything interfere with her ability to complete a stunt. For instance, Coleman once broke her leg and three ribs when her plane stalled and came crashing down, but she got right back up in the air.

Photo Courtesy of Youtube

Coleman wanted to establish a flying school for African Americans, but sadly her dream never became a reality. In Jacksonville Florida, Bessie Coleman was tragically killed while trying to perform a stunt in her plane. She was only 34 years old. Although her life ended abruptly, it did not diminish the amazing and groundbreaking life Coleman lived. Through many challenges and overwhelming adversity, she found a way to make her dreams a reality and in the process she became a major figure in aviation. Coleman is still an inspiration and pioneer in the field of aviation to this day.

Born in Fort Lauderdale, Maddy is currently studying Integrated PR & Advertising at USF. She is passionate about music, history, true crime novels, and the beach. See more of her on Instagram @maddy_broderickk !!