This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

When I was a child, I was a voracious reader. I remember the countless days and nights I’d read, being transported to different worlds and embracing every story like it was a part of me. I would happily read whenever I had time, finishing at least one book a week. The time I made for reading felt sacred, a way I relaxed as a child. 

Now, I can count the number of books I read this year on one hand. I love when I’m able to read, but as I’ve gotten older, it feels like I never have the time. However, I know this is a weak excuse, since I have no problem with getting my aimless social media scrolling in. As I plan on returning to this old passion of mine, I’ve picked up some beneficial habits. 

Use BookTok/Social Media

Something that I never realized was so difficult was choosing what to read! When there’s so many options, it can get overwhelming. That’s why I’ve noticed being on BookTok has motivated me to read more. I want to know what everyone is talking about; it’s challenging me. I am currently reading Normal People by Sally Rooney, which I heard so much about through social media. I am rewarding myself with the Hulu series when I finish the novel! 

Being Intentional with Time

As someone who works, interns, and takes on a full course load, I honestly don’t have a lot of time for myself. That’s why I have been implementing in my schedule time to read. During this time, I focus solely on reading, and I finish by reading to a certain page number or chapter. By being intentional, it forces me to avoid the easy social media scroll and make progress in my books. 

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.