This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you have an Instagram, Twitter, or Snapchat account, chances are the algorithms for those social media platforms have led you to view advertisements for clothing from cheap online stores such as Shein, Zaful, Romwe, FashionNova, etc. Online shopping alone is already dangerous for your bank account, but these stores lure you in even further by claiming to have non-stop promotions like “75% off–shop now!” and “Only $4.99!” Up until a month ago, I adamantly refused to shop online but the fact of the matter is: retail therapy is a real thing, so I decided to give Romwe a try. I purchased four items– limiting how much I purchased since it was my first time shopping with them– and two weeks later began to receive my clothes in the mail. This is how it went:

*note; all prices were after 69% off*

Knot back Knit Halter Top- $5.59

Photo courtesy of Romwe

Photo courtesy of Chioneso Obie

My initial thoughts upon seeing this item? “Yes, a plain black halter that covers me up decently but still looks cute and gets the job done.” Unfortunately, I was in for a surprise. Based on my measurements and those listed on the site, I ordered a small. What I was not expecting was for the halter to basically appear as short as a sports bra, and for the halter to be almost completely see-through. The fabric turned out to be really thin and felt cheap, which was a bit upsetting considering the photo advertised; however, I am not one to settle, and ended up pairing it with a thin black bralette. 

Ribbed Tank Top- $3.99

Photo courtesy of RomwePhoto courtesy of Chioneso Obie

I was the most disappointed in this when I tried it on for the first time, mainly because it was impossible for me to alter it or make it better in some way. Again, I went for the smallest size they had. I ordered this olive green tank with hopes that it would show a sliver of my mid-drift and fit snug around my torso, because that is somewhat how it looks like it would fit. Sadly, neither of those needs were met.  The material was the one thing that did not disappoint me. It was slightly thick, sturdy, and made of cotton and polyester. Additionally, there was no tag so there was even more trouble trying to figure out if it was on frontwards or backwards. The top simply just did not fit the way I had anticipated, which could be an error on my part but nevertheless, I expected more. 

Off Shoulder Button Decoration Tee- $6.59

Photo courtesy of Romwe

Photo courtesy of Chioneso Obie

I will not lie lie. This top was what I was most excited for, but I do have mixed feelings. Does it fit well? Yes. Is it see-through? Not at all. Does the material feel cheap? Nope. “So what could possibly be the issue?” you might ask. My biggest complaint is the lack of freedom I have while wearing it. I wore it out for the first time to the Cheesecake Factory and discovered that my arms would have to stay by my sides unless I wanted to flash the entire world. Yeah, pretty big setback. Limited arm movement was pretty difficult considering how often I talk with my hands, and I found myself constantly pulling the shirt back down to its assigned seat. It was a bit of a hassle, but if you do not mind having zero freedom to move your arms, I would consider it a win.

Button Detail Halter Top- $6.59

Photo courtesy of RomwePhoto courtesy of Chioneso Obie 

Mustard yellow is one of my favorite shades of all time, so when I saw this, I had to get it. For the most part, there were no negative surprises for me when I tried it on for the first time. It was almost exactly what I expected, but not exactly what I was hoping for which was for the material to be a bit more stretchy. All around, the top fits snuggly, maybe a little too snug on the chest area, and looks/feels exactly how it should. My only complaint for it is the the tie-string. It is very cute, but produced some scary ripping sounds when I continuously tied and untied it during a trip to the mall. Overall, I would say this was the least disappointing of the four total items I purchased. 

Here are my two cents: Romwe is a great store to shop at if you are balling on a budget and do not have super high standards, but be sure to check the credentials of every item before you add it to your cart because you may end up disappointed. Still, do not let one or two bad experiences stop you from serving $5.99 looks. 

Chioneso is a junior at the University of South Florida, with a major in Mass Communications and a concentration in Integrated Public Relations and Advertising. Her hobbies lie in exploring new places, foods and activities, as well as capturing/editing photos and videos.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.