Ash Wednesday Service Connects USF Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Walking around yesterday, many of you saw people with a small, dark smudge spread across their foreheads. Don’t worry, it’s not dirt, it’s ash. March 1st marked the first day of lent, a season of fasting and prayer for Western Christians—especially for Catholics. The lent period lasts for a total of 46 days (counting Sundays) and ends on Easter Sunday, when Christ has risen.

March 1st was a historic day for Catholics on the USF campus as it was the first time in USF history that mass was celebrated on Campus. The Catholic Student Union (CSU) at USF organized the mass, which took place in the Amphitheater at 5p.m.  With over 250 students in attendance, the mass attracted Catholics and curious students.

Many saw the mass as point of change in their lives.

The priest who celebrated the mass, Father Justin Paskert, was optimistic about the turn out and hopes to see one thousand or more students next year. He sees the Ash Wednesday as a “public act of penance” and hopes that celebrating mass on campus would reach more students and show them the community welcomes them.

Students in attendance said the idea of having mass on campus; especially at the amphitheater was a great idea. They believed the public mass caught the attention of student and faculty. They hope to continue this.

What are your thoughts on this? Comment below!

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.