Picture of camera
Picture of camera
Original photo by Anna Catalina Kettlewell
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

At a mere 4 years old, I was stealing my parents’ cameras and capturing random shots of practically everything I encountered. I was always amazed by the way cameras are built to mimic the intricate human eye. I came to be indulged in a realm of lighting, lenses, symmetry, and infinite potential. 

Since then, I have worked with a wide variety of cameras, yet there is one that will never compare to the rest: my Nikon Coolpix B500. It’s a silly point-and-shoot I got for my 10th birthday. It was the first camera I could call my own, one I could hog without getting yelled at, and one I knew would be with me forever. This camera evokes a feeling in me that simply cannot be replicated. 

Within the Archives of my Coolpix: 

(All memories considered) 

Home: Dorado, PR
girl doing handstand
grandparents looking over ocean
dock
The city with an ambiance unlike any other and one of my favorite to photograph: New York City, NY
New York street
New York Taxi
New York Bridge
Halloween with the coolest, most creative people: Miami, FL
two girls on lawn dressed up for halloween
Belle and Jasmine Halloween Costume
halloween two people hugging
Halloween Costume
My california-cation as Frank Ocean would say: San Diego, CA 
car, girl, and california trees
window san diego
off dock in san diego
Ocean san diego
San Diego rocks
And Finally, as a goodbye to my high school days: Prom, Miami, FL
prom picture two people
prom picture four people
Prom Picture 6 people

Now you’ve seen a few memories captured by my forever partner in life. Photography is not just a hobby or a profession; it’s an art form that allows us to capture and memorialize the beauty of the world around us. The memories we capture through our cameras’ lens stay with us forever, reminding us of the people, places, and moments that have shaped us into who we are today. So, let’s keep clicking and sharing our stories with the world because there’s nothing more powerful than human connection and the memories we create together. 

Hi! My name is Cata. I’m 18 years old and a current freshman at The University of South Florida, majoring in Business-Advertising. A little bit about myself: I am a mental health advocate and created a text line and blog to help others called The Best Friend You Needed (tbfyn.com). I grew up in Miami with many Latin influences in and out of my home- my mom is from Puerto Rico, and my dad is from Mexico. I am one of three siblings. I love running, writing, tennis, people & ice cream !! Honestly, I don’t know what else to say about myself except that I am no different from you. I get lost, fear the future, say the wrong things sometimes, and am certainly not perfect. Despite all that, perfection is not something I seek. I want to help people love themselves. I want to share my thoughts, struggles, triumphs, and feelings in hopes that it may benefit others.