jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As spring break approaches, many students are seeking adventure beyond staying at home or college. Some will go far beyond the national borders and some will travel more locally; however, if the route to your destination is an airplane away, here are some tips to make your journey the smoothest possible.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Use technology to your advantage

Let’s start at the beginning. Before you even leave to the airport, you can already start your excursion. Depending on the airport for which you booked a ticket, you have the opportunity to have TSA pre-check. Basically, this checks you onto your flight online and sheds time off checking in in -person at the airport. Also, if your airline gives you the option to have a mobile boarding pass, do it. This saves paper and keeps your hands free from clutter.

Photo courtesy of cyprustraveller.com

Pack a snack

It has become common knowledge that in venues such as an airport, food and drinksvare incredibly expensive. Instead of spending extra money on a snack at the airport, be prepared ahead of time. Have a hearty meal or pack some sandwiches at home and bring them in your bag. Even stopping at a fast food restaurant or grocery store would be more cost effective than purchasing overpriced airport snacks.

Photo courtesy of bestversionvegan.com

Dress to impress

Airplanes tend to keep the cabin temperatures on the colder side, so you should dress accordingly. I recommend to always wear either closed toe shoes, or if you chose to wear sandals, bring socks just in case. It is better to be safe than sorry that you didn’t bring warm clothes. Comfortable and non restrictive clothing is best either a longer or night flight.

Photo courtesy of Who What Wear

Be early

Airplane departures are sometimes unpredictable. They can be on time or they can be late. The time you arrive at the airport can determine how busy it will be. It takes time to get your bags checked in, go through TSA, find your gate and so forth. Therefore, put yourself in the best position possible. Arrive at the airport with plenty of time to accomplish the prerequisites.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Bring something to do

You should always bring along entertainment. A must have for flights is head phones, whether it be to watch movies and videos or listen to music or audiobooks. Also, remember not every plane has complementary Wi-Fi, so download what you need beforehand. A great idea is to invest in a portable charger because finding an available outlet in the airport can be a challenge, and having one guarantees you will have battery during the flight.

Air travel can be overwhelming to some, but hopefully these tips and tricks can give a newbie some reassurance for their next flight. Thank you for reading and may your travels this spring break, in the air or on land, be fantabulous.

I am from Miami, Florida and in my senior year at the University of South Florida. I am a member of Delta Delta Delta international sorority. I work at a barre, yoga, cycle studio so you can always catch me exercising in one way or another! I love Her Campus because it grants me the freedom to write about what I am passionate about.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.