Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Advice on Friendship Breakups— Everything Happens For a Reason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The Universe always knows when to allow for people to exit your life, and the timing is impeccable every single time. You start getting that gut feeling that they don’t enjoy your company as much anymore, or you’re experiencing a gradual drift that is seemingly inexplicable. This can be the case for any type of relationship in your life. Let me just tell you, everything does happen for a reason.

Something I have learned through my own experiences is to never force a friendship that is no longer surviving and thriving on its own. If you, at any time, feel like you are overcompensating— reaching out first, ignoring their shift in attitude towards you, being left out of plans— my advice to you is to sit back and allow nature to run its course. This can be so incredibly challenging, but once you realize how one-sided your friendship was, I promise you, you will never look back. You can reminisce about old memories, but that is all they are. What once was no longer remains, and there is no point in exhausting yourself to bring your friendship back to that point when it is not being reciprocated. Fond memories do not equate to, or compensate for, current circumstances. 

I strongly believe in the concept of “what will be, will be.” The more you absorb and live by this mentality, the easier it will be to allow for the personal growth that is welcoming new people into your life. It is true what they say, friends do come and go, especially when you least expect it. I can firmly say that every single person who has ever been important to me at some point in time has played a role in shaping my character. 

I gradually started to drift away from this one person in my life whom I have known since high school, but two new friends at college alleviated my feelings of loneliness, and I can honestly say they are some of the best friends I have ever had. That being said, my high school friend taught me so much about myself, and I owe much of my self-improvement to them, regardless of how we ended. We are all here to help each other evolve, and sometimes it is important to let people go in order to do that. 

Trust your gut! You will always know when something is off. It takes a certain type of person to recognize this discrepancy, and actually make a change as a result of that. Distancing yourself, and putting your needs first exemplifies strength, and you should be so proud of yourself for doing so. People cycle out of your life in order to make room for newer, more meaningful connections. I promise that bigger, better things are coming your way, if you let them. 

Hi!! My name is Sarika and I attend USF!! I love writing about mental health awareness, fashion, relationships, and anything else I find important or interesting!! I hope u enjoy my articles:) <3