Career

Advice from an Indecisive Soon-To-Be Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Throughout my school career, I always thought I knew what I wanted to do when I grew up. I always loved reading books and wanted to be a part of the construction of them. I’ve always been apt to point out mistakes within the many pages I read, so I figured I would want to be one of those people who got paid to do exactly that. Once I got to college though I did a bit more research and realized that the editing branch is extremely competitive and I’m not the kind of person who would thrive in that environment.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

I decided I wanted to be a teacher. And then I thought, “Nah, that’s not for me,” and went back to editor. Most recently, I thought that having a minor in Film Studies could be fun. Today though, I have almost no clue as to what I want to do after I graduate (in the Spring of 2019). I am nineteen years old, I got my AA in high school which cut off two years from my BA, and I have absolutely no idea what future me will be doing.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

I could be freaking out about my situation right now and honestly? A part of me is going a little bit insane, but I choose to only listen to that voice every now and then. I am well aware of everything that is going on in my life right now; that I have never had a single job before and in less than a year I will need to be on the search for a long-term job that will accept me, my inexperience and all.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Let this act as a cautionary tale to all other indecisive people who think they have more than enough time to figure out their life path. You might have years left before you graduate and, even then, I advise you to do some research on possible career paths. Maybe after this research you will still have no idea and, if that is the case, at least you can say you did it. If you start your search now, you can at least rest assured knowing that you tried.

Lizzy is majoring in Creative Writing and will receive her degree in the spring. She loves iced coffee, dachshunds, politics (though not really the climate right now), Harry Styles, vine compilations, and so much more. She can't wait to pursue writing further when she graduates.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.