8 Reasons to Love Hanukkah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

8 Reasons to Love Hanukkah

1. Thanksgivingukkah
Is latke a carb? Not on Thanksgivingukkah! That’s right, both Thanksgiving Day and Hanukkah share the fame on all calendars November 28, 2013. This is a huge deal because this won’t happen again for another 70,000 years! Latkes (or potato pancakes) are simple to make and you can switch them out for mashed potatoes this year. Click here for simple steps in making latkes. Or yes, don’t fear, you can now simply buy potato pancake mix at the grocery store and add oil.

2. Adam Brody, James Franco, Jake Gyllenhaal, Adam Levine . . .
Really, is further explanation needed? There are multiple Jewish celebrity crushes that will be celebrating Hanukkah this year, and to honor our love for them we should all be celebrating it too. As you light the menorah, you can make a wish for Jewish cuties including but so not limited to, Andy Samberg Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Paul Rudd, and Andy Samberg.

3. The Hanukkah Rugrats Episode
You’re never too old for The Rugrats . . . and you’re DEFINITELY never too hold for The Rugrats Chanukah episode. If you are not familiar with the story of Chanukah, this is a pretty solid effort. If only Grandpa Boris could attend all of our Hanukkah parties this year. What makes this episode even better is that it is available in FULL on Nickelodeon’s website. Check it out on Hanukkah (or right now… I can’t wait, either).

4. Chocolate Currency

If you have not heard of gelt, you are missing out! Gelt is delicious chocolate wrapped in gold foil. While it is a tradition to give gelt to children on Hanukkah, everyone deserves it. To keep tradition, my personal suggestion is to eat some while you are revisiting your childhood with reason number 3. Surprise your friends by buying some gelt at the grocery store before it sells out and make every day of Hanukkah a pay day.

5. DREIDELS.

Spinning dreidels can be very addictive. A dreidel is a spinning top that makes for an addictive holiday party game. First choose a currency for the pot (pennies, reason number 4 . . .). If נ (nun) is facing up when you spin you do nothing . . . but if ג (gimel) is facing up, you get everything in the pot! If ה (hei) is facing up, you’re still a winner with half the pieces in the pot – and yes you can round up with an uneven pot! Lastly, if ש (shin) or פ (pei) is facing up, you have to add a piece to the pot. Think you can handle a game of dreidel?

6.  The Hora!
You may have heard the lyrics, “Oh Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah, we’ll all dance the Hora!” If you have not actually danced the Hora, you must this Hanukkah season.  Take a flashback to any bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah you attended and get in a circle with your friends. The dance is a series of side steps and kicks while all moving simultaneously around a circle. BTW, This totally counts as workout post-latkes. Watch the video above for an example.

7. The Menorah

The Menorah can be classic or outrageous in color. The next time you’reo n Pinterest, I highly encourage you to check out the options for a Menorah. The Menorah is lit on each night of candle, reminding us of the miracle of light.  How would you decorate your Menorah? Click here for some instant Menorah Pinspiration!

8. It is a miracle!

Overall, Hanukkah represents a miracle, and to remind us that we have much to be thankful for, and better yet that miracles CAN happen. The story of Hanukkah revolves around the miracle when there was very little oil left to light the Menorah in the Temple, but that oil miraculously lit the menorah for eight days. I hope that every day of your Hanukkah celebrations are full of light and miracles!

From Her Campus U. South Florida to Her Campus Nationals. Lover of spinning, food pics, and overall happy moments. Also a Britney Spears loyalist. You can follow Danielle's adventures on Twitter @dkushner_ and Instagram @deekush.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.