7 Life Skills I Have Gained From Being In A Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Joining a sorority was something I knew I wanted to do since I was in high school. Many of my older friends were involved in Greek Life at their schools, and I saw how much fun they were having. I loved all of the positive things I heard, and how they were involved with service in their communities, excelled academically and made friendships they said would last a lifetime.

Looking from the outside, those things all sounded like something I wanted to be a part of. However, I would have never understood just how much you can truly get out of being in a sorority until I joined one.

Greek life teaches young students to be leaders, to be curious, involved, and learn time management. It motivates us to live to a higher standard, because we are living the values that our founders have taught us and left in our ritual. It’s about tradition, and leaving a legacy behind. It’s about helping those within your circle and those without your circle, working hands on with your community and living a life of altruistic service to others. It is about diversity and creating long lasting bonds with a variety of people from different backgrounds.

1.     Leaderships Skills

Sororities are student run. Although alum serve as advisors, it is up to the chapter members to fulfill the duties of important roles and positions in the chapter. There are many positions that serve different purposes. Being in a sorority has helped me get involved and be a leader not only in my chapter, but on campus. By taking leadership roles, I have learned how to communicate with people and understand how to get people to follow you.

2.     Time Management

Being a full-time student, working, and being in other extracurricular besides your sorority is what college is all about. It is important to know that although a sorority can take up a lot of time, it is completely possible to balance other things at the same time and do them successfully. Frankly, the key behind it is time management. Doing everything is possible, but it’s important to remember that school comes first, and my sorority reminds me of that by rewarding me when I do well, and making sure I’m staying on track and focusing even when I’m not. Managing your time will be especially important once you graduate and look for a job, so it’s a great skill that I have gained from being in a sorority.

3.     Living to a Higher Standard

No matter what sorority you’re in, there are a certain set of standards that your founders left for you to be the best version of yourself. That includes being studious and academically sound, being kind to others, and living a truthful and honorable life. Being in a sorority has reminded me of the values I was raised with, and the importance of living up to them every day of your life.

4.     Tradition

Our founders have also left us traditions and rituals to live by. It is incredible to share traditions of over one hundred years with thousands of college women in our country, and alum from our chapters. It is a wonderful feeling to know that the things you do in your chapter have been done by so many other women before you, and you are passing these things on to so many women who will come after you.

5.     Service

My chapter has given me so many opportunities to not only be involved within my campus, but to give back to my community as well. It’s an awesome feeling when you’re paired up with specific foundations and get to give back to people who need help. No matter what your philanthropy is, you are always working hands on and making a difference.

6.     Support

Before joining a sorority, I always heard people bragging out how much support they received from their sorority. I always believed it was true, but once I was able to experience it first hand, I can truly say it’s an indescribable feeling. Knowing that 100+ girls genuinely care about you and what you’re going through is something like no other. My sisters help me at my worst, and endlessly support me through my best, and I believe this is an experience every person deserves to have.

7.     Long Lasting Bonds

I can honestly say that being in a sorority has brought me my best friends for more than just four years. It has brought me my bridesmaids, my children’s godmothers and relationships that will truly last a lifetime. I’m so grateful for the gift of friendship that my sorority has brought me, and I will cherish this gift for the rest of my life.

In no way does being Greek make me better than someone who isn’t affiliated. But I truly believe that being a part of a sorority has helped me be a part of something that is greater than myself. It has given me opportunities to be involved and grow as a woman.

Carolina Meneses is a student at the University of South Florida in Tampa studying mass communications with a concentration in public relations. She is a blogger for various websites, writer, singer and is passionate about all things fashion, beauty and life. Menesescarolina.com
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.