6 Ways You Can Give Back to Your Community Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Thumbnail: Pexels

During the holiday season, charitable giving is encouraged to help those who are less fortunate. But, giving back the community should not be reserved for the winter months; organizations need gently used items and the demand for items can sometimes be overwhelming to charities if they’re running low on supplies. Giving back to the community doesn’t have to be hard, expensive, nor time-consuming. I’ve compiled a list of ways you can give back to your community right now:

Donate your used clothes

Look through your closet and drawers to find clothes you don’t feel drawn to wear anymore. Organizations such as The Spring of Tampa Bay, Metropolitan Ministries, The Salvation Army are always in need of clothing items. These items will find a new home and help support these organization’s missions.

Photo: Japan Info

Donate extra items to shelters and drives

When I am shopping, if I see an item I am going to purchase is BOGO, I will give the extra item to shelters and drives. In 2017, Florida, Texas and the Caribbean were impacted by Hurricane Irma. Drives for basic hygiene items such as body wash, razors, toothbrushes were popping up to help the victims. Those bottles of shampoo and conditioner in your cabinet can free up space for you and give hope to some who needs it.

Visit parks in your area and pick up garbage

Parks, whether city, municipal or national, are important parts of our community because they serve as gathering places where people can enjoy nature. People throw trash on the ground when they cannot find a garbage bin. Take a garbage bag and gloves and pick up any discarded materials you find; picking up this trash can beautify communities and helps the local environment.

Photo: leafly.com

Participate in 5Ks, walk-a-thons and other community events

Often charities benefiting hospitals and health-based charities host annual athletic events such as walk-a-thons, marathons, runs. Sign up and participate in these events to not only raise awareness of the organization’s mission but often fees associated with these events, benefit the hospital or charity directly. Some foundations use the money to fund research projects for terminally-ill patients.

Purchase cruelty-free beauty products

Former Her Campus writer and Editor-in-Chief Morgan Blauth and I wrote Slay Your Look but Not The Animals, an article dedicated to encouraging Her Campus readers to pick cosmetics that are kind to our four-legged friends. You may be wondering: how does this help the com an item every day that does not harm animals in its making, you’re helping to end the suffering and exploitation of animals. The best part? A lot of popular beauty brands manufacture products that do not harm animals. On your next makeup run to Sephora, check the packaging for the cruelty-free label.

Photo: Pexels

Pay it Forward

“Pay it Forward” is a concept where you return a good deed someone has done for you by doing a good deed for someone else. This gesture is popular in lines such as when customers at an Indiana McDonald’s “paid it forward” 167 times before the chain was broken. Buying your items and the person in line behind you can make a big difference in the life of the stranger behind you, especially if they’re struggling financially. Kindness and generosity can turn someone’s day around. Selflessly paying for someone else’s items creates a sense of community.

I began at Her Campus USF as a writer in Spring 2017. Then, served as Senior Editor in Fall 2017 and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. I am passionate about writing, social media, and graphic design. I am a portrait photographer and a self-proclaimed makeup junkie. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cc_red13 to connect!
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.