5 Vacation Spots Without the Tourist Traps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Winter break is almost here (yay!), and we all want the perfect, peaceful getaway after a hectic semester. Here are my top five suggestions for where to escape to for a few days.

1.   Winter Haven, FL: If you want to spend your winter in a tropical location, then Winter Haven, Florida is the place for you. The temperature usually doesn’t drop below 32 degrees. Winter Haven also offers a nice park, many restaurants, and the beaches aren’t too far away.2.   Winterport, ME: If you really want to experience winter in a small, rustic, town, then Winterport, Maine offers exactly that. It’s a comfortable, cozy city where you can see the leaves change with the seasons. Because it’s near the coast, you can enjoy some time at the beach while relaxing in your fuzzy sweater.

3.   Winters, CA: If you want to continue exploring, you could continue your California tour with San Diego or Los Angeles; but Winters offers a beautiful, historic downtown and some nice breezy weather. If you are looking to escape from the world for a while, then this is your place.

4.   Winterville, GA: Not too far from Florida, Winterville is a small town with many historic areas and a beautiful park. Only an hour and a half away from Atlanta, this hidden gem offers an escape to the rural beauties of Georgia. If you’re looking for that small-town feel, Winterville is a perfect place.

5.   Winterset, IA: Winterset, Iowa has that small town, retro-style feel. It’s like it popped straight out of an 80s movie.

What’s your favorite small town to visit? Let me know in the comments!