Life > High School

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Dual Enrolled

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Dual enrollment is a program that allows high school students to earn their associate’s degree while in high school. It is a great way to save not only a lot of money but also time. Despite these advantages, here are 5 things I wish I had known before joining the program.

You are forced to grow up fast.

Being dual enrolled feels like you’re still in high school because of the other dual-enrolled students and recent high school grads, but there are a lot of other students who are much older than you around you. Professors also expect a certain level of maturity from you, causing you to mature faster than you should.

Resume building may be a challenge.

Juggling high school and college at the same time is not an easy task. Most dual-enrolled students may not get the opportunity to have a part-time job because they are too busy with school. Dual-enrolled students also may not be aware of their college’s career center that will assist in finding internships, which is essential in your college career.

You must choose your career path quickly.

When you transfer to a university with an associate’s degree, you are commonly already considered a junior by credit. At this stage, you must declare your major, and you may not be able to change it.

You won’t get a traditional college experience.

Freshman and sophomore year are probably the best years of a college student’s life. Entering a university as a dual-enrolled transfer student, you miss out on the most memorable and exciting times of your life.

You might graduate without knowing what you really want in life.

College isn’t all about finding a career. It’s also about finding yourself. Your junior and senior year will be gone in a blink of an eye, and the next thing you know you’re a young college graduate that doesn’t know who you are or what you want in life.

Dual enrollment is a great option for students for many reasons. I don’t regret joining the program, but I wish I had known these things before doing it.

I am a senior at USF majoring in Communication with a minor in Mass Communications. I love coffee, books, and spending time with my friends and family.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.