Style

4 Halloween Costume Ideas for Large Friend Groups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Coordinating Halloween costumes with a large friend group is always a challenge. If you pick specific show/movie/book characters to dress up as, chances are everyone will be arguing over who gets what costumes. Finding enough characters for a big group is hard enough as it is, let alone finding ones that everyone is happy with. So, if you’re looking for some stellar costume ideas that everyone in your friend group can join in on, look no further!

Princesses/Princes

Whether you make this more specific (for example, Disney), or leave it a general theme, this idea is perfect for large groups of people. These are the costumes my own friend group is going with this year (specifically, me and my boyfriend are dressing as Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from Tangled) and it’s literally perfect. Pretty much anyone can join in and still have plenty of options.

Villains

If you want to go for some darker costumes, villains would be a unique and iconic theme. Once again, you could do favorite villains in general or specify it to Disney, cartoons, anime, books, etc. I’m thinking Maleficent, the Joker, Mother Gothel, Thanos. Or maybe throw in some real-life villains, like Jake Gyllenhaal. These could be hilarious, but they could also be super hot.

Fairies

This was my friend group’s second costume choice. We were thinking of fairies from the Tinker Bell movies, but you could broaden this to fairies from folklore, as well. Creatures like elves, pixies, goblins, nymphs, and sprites all fit into the mystical world of Fae folklore and would make for a magical evening.

Supernatural Creatures

This category is possibly the most general, and the creepiest. Your friends can come dressed as all kinds of supernatural creatures: vampires, werewolves, ghosts, fairies, mermaids, witches–the list could go on and on. This would make for great costumes or an amazing party theme and would definitely bring some spooky Halloween vibes.

Hi everyone! My name is Taylor Arnold, and I'm a junior at USF studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in mass communication. I love painting, reading, traveling, shopping, coffee, and (of course) writing.