4 Dog-Friendly Holiday Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again: Fridges are filled to the brim with Thanksgiving leftovers and ingredients to prepare your favorite holiday meals and treats. But just to the side of the fridge sits a good dog, drooling over the festive scents coming from the kitchen—all while their kibble remains untouched.

While chocolate, candy, eggnog and other treats are hazardous for our furry friends, these four holiday foods are perfect to share with your hungry puppy.

Remember, all dogs are different and can react to foods in different ways. Starting with small portions or checking with a vet is advised for dogs with health-related issues.

1. Turkey: This main dish of most Thanksgiving dinners is sure to have your dog howling. While some meat is not dog friendly, skinless scraps of turkey are perfectly fine. It is best to share only small, boneless and plain portions of turkey, as some seasonings and vegetables cooked alongside this bird are toxic to dogs.

2. Carrots: If you follow The Golden Ratio 4 on Twitter or Snapchat, you probably already know that carrots are the key to your dog’s heart. Just as carrots are a good choice for humans, they provide dogs with vitamins, promote dental health and are even a new edible toy. Both raw and cooked carrots are okay for dogs to chew on, but cutting up large carrots may be a wise choice for tiny or overexcited dogs.

3. Apples: Before you throw that last apple into the pie, share a slice with your puppy for some added vitamins A and C. As long as the seeds are removed, this fruit can be shared directly with your dog or even used to create some dog-friendly apple cinnamon treats.

4. Pumpkin: With November almost over, pumpkin prices should be on the way down and canned pumpkin is a great option for dogs. This food not only helps with dog diarrhea, but it can also be used to help slim down overweight pooches

Be sure to (safely!) spoil yourself and your pets this holiday season.