david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Classic Horror Movies Perfect for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you didn’t know already, it’s October! Honestly, it feels just like yesterday I was moving into my dorm. Anyways, that means Halloween is in a few weeks. Personally, I have never been in love with Halloween like other people. I don’t really like watching scary movies and barely eat candy. Growing up, trick-or-treating was enjoyable. I loved dressing up in various costumes. My sister and I would always compete and see how much candy we would get during the night. Ironically, my mom would always take the candy to work the next day because we would only eat about two Kit-Kats. Although Halloween wasn’t my favorite, I would watch the Halloween movies they would show on Disney Channel and ABC Family almost ritualistically. Here are my four favorite Halloweenmovies that aren’t really scary. 

“Twitches”

I used to watch this movie obsessively every October with my sister. Tia and Tamera Mowry star as twin sisters, Carmen and Alex, who are separated at birth and reunited on their 21st birthday. When they reunite, they find out they are long-lost sisters who have magical powers they thought they only possessed. Soon, they find out that they have to use their powers to save their kingdom (Coventry, where they are originally from) from the forces of darkness. This movie really resonated with me for a couple of reasons. First, “Twitches” was one of the first instances where I saw black female power on television without fully realizing it. My sister and I would be in awe of Carmen and Alex. We could relate to the characters so well, which was really empowering for us. Plus, it has an actual deep plot for a DisneyChannel movie. It’s not scary and has an amazingplot twist. Overall, it’s an iconic must-see every October. 

“Twitches Too”

When they made a sequel to “Twitches,” I was so happy. An iconic movie returning for a second? My seven-year-oldself was squealing. Again, this movie is simply amazing. Carmen and Alex are in different places in their lives. Alex wants to focus on her studies and is attending college. Carmen is still into gowns and glamour. They are still trying to control their magical powers and learn more about each other. Yet again, dark forces try to destroy Coventry, and it’s upto the twitches to stop it. Again, I love it. Fun fact: Tia and Tamera Mowry were in their late-twenties when starring in these films. Melanin poppin’! 

“Halloweentown”

If I could put all ofthe “Halloweentown” movies on thislist, I would. Well, maybe except the last one. We don’t talk about that one (seriously, like audience wouldn’t notice they switched the main actress?). I used to watch it a lot starting at the age of seven. It starred the legendary Debbie Reynolds. The main character, Marnie, finds out she’s a witch and helps save a town of scary creatures. It’s perfect to watch with friends or family to reminisce about the simpler times. 

“Monster House”

This movie used to terrify me as a kid. It still does now that I am thinking about it. However, it’s a great movie if you want a thrill. Three friends believe this house on their block is possessed. With Halloween coming, they want to kill this house before it does harm to theinnocent trick-or-treaters. The animation in this one is a bit funky, so I am not a big fan. However, it does get you hooked. I suggest watching with friends. 

What’s your go-to Halloween movie?

My name is Funmi Adeyemi. I am junior from Chicago! I am studying health sciences and love to write.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.