3 Ways USF Students Can Help Hurricane Harvey Victims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

People in Texas are suffering after Hurricane Harvey, a storm that no analysts expected to be as catastrophic as it was. Here’s three ways you (yes, you!) can help those in need. And think about it this way: You never know when you’ll need help from others if something like this were to happen in Tampa Bay.

Image from http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170830065716-03-harvey-0830-super-169.jpg

1.   Donate blood

On August 28, OneBlood announced that they’re sending blood to Texas, and the organization stands ready to assist until further notice. Dan Eberts from Oneblood explains the high need of blood in these situations. “When you have floods, bloodmobiles can’t get out, donors can’t get in, and you have no blood donations coming in; yet patients in hospitals continue to need blood to live,” he explained. Oneblood is reaching out to Florida residents to help meet the need. Here is a list of all of the times the Oneblood bus will be on USF’s campus asking for donations. Bonus: They’re even giving away free gifts! And if you’ve never donated blood before, check out 8 Things You Should Know Before Donating.  

2.   Donate everyday household items (anything helps!)

There are some victims of Hurricane Harvey that have lost everything, so a lot of different kinds of donations are being asked for. People need everything from clothes, to toiletries, to toys for children.  Next time you’re at the store, grab the BOGO toothpaste and share one with someone in need. Instead of dropping off your old clothes at a Plato’s Closet, take them to one of the drop-off locations for Harvey victims. Check out a complete list of drop-off locations and fundraisers in the Tampa Bay area here

Image from http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170827162819-01-hurricane-harvey-tim-fadek-super-169.jpg

3.   Skip the Starbucks for a week and donate $10

You can text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 right now. Instead of getting those iced coffees or guac on your Chipotle burrito, donate that money to the hurricane victims who have lost everything. It will make you feel better than any cup of coffee will.

Do you have any suggestions about how to help hurricane victims? Have you ever been in a situation like the one in Texas? Share your experiences in the comments!

Senior at the University of South Florida Studying Psychology and Communication with a concentrate in family relations.