3 Things You Should Be Watching in Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

1. Iran Nuclear Deal 

In case you forgot, the Iran nuclear deal was begun during Obama’s presidency. Basically, it says that Iran will get rid of nearly all of its uranium, machines that process uranium and ensure that its nuclear sites are strictly for research and power. In return, the U.S., and other global powers, will ease sanctions to promote international trade and business. (IMPORTANT: U.S. Congress never signed the deal. They decided that the president would review everything and let Congress know if Iran was keeping up with their side of the deal every 90 days.) 

President Trump recently spoke at the UN General Assembly and during his speech alluded he may be aiming to end U.S. involvement in the deal. Iran’s leader,  President Hassan Rouhani responded by saying “We are unmoved by threats and intimidation. It will be a great pity if this deal is destroyed by rogue newcomers to the world of politics.” 

2. North Korea 

During Trump’s speech at the UN General Assembly, he also spoke out against North Korea. Trump threatened to “totally destroy North Korea.” That is, of course, only if the U.S. is forced to protect itself or its allies. North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, later responded by calling Trump “mentally deranged” and their foreign prime minister mentioned they may soon test a hydrogen bomb. 

3. Graham-Cassidy Bill 

Republicans have been pushing to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare. Their most recent attempt is the Graham-Cassidy Bill which, now, isn’t looking to fair too well when it comes time to vote. Republican senators Rand Paul of Kentucky and John McCain of Arizona have both declared a lack of support for the bill and Sen. Susan Collins of Maine has said she is also leaning toward voting against it. McCain says that there are currently too many unknowns with the bill for him to support it. These include having an idea of how much the bill will cost, as well as having an idea of how many Americans it will hurt versus how many it will help.