This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As we approach one year since quarantine started, a lot of us are feeling completely drained. One of the few positives these past months have brought about is that so many of us are finally beginning to understand how important self-care is. While everyone may have a different idea of what self-care means, it can honestly be anything you do that is just for you. When it comes to myself, I like doing my night routine early and unwinding in bed with my laptop open and Netflix on. Here are some shows you absolutely have to give a chance next time you want to relax but can’t seem to find anything to watch:

Atypical (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo02ayCeVmY*

This is the ultimate comfort show. Episodes are about thirty minutes each, making easy watching truly possible for all my ladies with suffering attention spans. Unfortunately, Atypical is set to wrap up this year with its fourth and final season, but it’s definitely one of those shows that you can watch over and over again without getting tired of it. I’m speaking from experience. Just watch it. You’ll fall in love with Casey, and that’s a promise.

Roswell, New Mexico (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTk24tf_cyY*

We love a good CW show, especially one that Tyler Blackburn, who previously played Caleb in Pretty Little Liars, stars in! RNM shouldn’t be prejudged as a ‘spin-off’ or a continuation of Roswell (1999). They’re both based on the same book series by Melinda Metz, with the rumored 1947 UFO crash in Roswell serving as inspiration for the plot, but any changes will be noticeable to you if you are already familiar with this universe.

Something important to note is that, rather than being set in high school, like Roswell was and like all television shows seem to be these days, the characters are in their late twenties with established careers and relationships. As someone who is very much not in high school anymore, I find movies and television shows about teenagers far less appealing than I used to. Anyway, RNM has everything you could ever hope for. Bisexual representation! Aliens! Cowboys! Alien cowboys!

The Society (2019)

Don’t let the fact that this show was, due to COVID-19, canceled after only one season hold you back from watching it. I was quite literally distraught when I heard the news, but I’ve rewatched it since then, and I was reminded that it really is such a complex and remarkable show, even with just ten episodes. The lovely Kathryn Newton is the lead, and she acts her butt off no matter what role she’s playing. Some other faces might be familiar to you, such as Kristine Froseth, who was in Looking for Alaska and Sierra Burgess is a Loser, and Olivia DeJonge, who will be starring as Priscilla Presley alongside Austin Butler in the highly-anticipated biopic about Elvis himself coming out later this year.

It’s so important to make time for yourself every once in a while. Next time you’re feeling stressed out, whether it be pandemic-related or school-related, Netflix and these shows have your back!

Madysen Humphries is an alumnus of USF. She graduated with her B.A. in Communication and completed two minors in Linguistics and Nutrition in May 2021. She loves meeting new people, spending time with her nephews, and reading. You can reach out to her through LinkedIn or at humphriesmadysen@gmail.com!
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!