3 Common Feelings of New College Transfers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Whether it’s because of financial reasons or simply a college not being the “right fit,” transferring colleges is very prevalent across the country. In fact, over half of USF’s student population is college transfers. Although transferring is common, adjusting to a whole new school can create a flurry of confusing emotions. I am going to share a couple feelings I have felt since becoming a transfer student. Hopefully, this resonates with my fellow transfers.

Excitement 

When I discovered I got accepted into USF, I was elated. During my freshman year, I was not happy at my previous institution. It was too far from home, too small, and I didn’t feel like I was pushed to do my best. USF fit my criteria: bigger campus, great academics, more opportunities, and close to family. It felt really nice knowing that the next coming school year I would be attending a university that would make me happy.

Anxiety

With about a month left of summer, I started to panic about everything. I was overthinking everything. What if I am not happy at USF? What if I can’t make any friends? What if I don’t do well in my classes? Should I have just stayed at my last university? Those were just a couple of questions I constantly asked myself.

My family and friends reassured me I would not be the only one transferring and adjusting will take time. Adjusting to a whole new school and area will not happen suddenly. Transferring to a new school would be difficult, but I told myself I chose this school for a reason. I needed to take a breath and realize things will work out on its own. It is normal to feel nervous; transferring is not an easy feat. Give yourself time to adapt to your new surroundings.

Ease

Within about two weeks of classes, I found myself somewhat settled. I knew where all my classes and major buildings were without using the map. I’ve met people in my classes, the gym and at club meetings. I relieve stress by going to the campus recreation center a couple of times a week and participating in group fitness classes or working out on the machines. I know my favorite places to eat on campus.

Of course, I am not fully settled and adjusted. I don’t think anyone is ever fully adjusted to anything. However, I feel happy. Transitioning is a process, and it is essential to give yourself time to get used to being at a whole new school.

My name is Funmi Adeyemi. I am junior from Chicago! I am studying health sciences and love to write.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.