etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

2014 FIFA World Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Olé, olé, collegiettes™!

The 2014 FIFA World Cup opened yesterday in Brazil and I hope you didn’t miss it. Just in case you did, here’s a quick recap. The opening ceremony and first match did not disappoint!

In the opening ceremony, Jennifer Lopez joined Pitbull and Brazilian singer, Claudia Leitte to perform the World Cup Song “We are One”! You can watch the performance below. Just a heads up, it was only available on the Spanish channel though. Click here to watch the official music video!

The opening ceremony represented Brazilian culture with colorful costumes, lively music and awesome dancing. The performance was wild with dancing trees on stilts, human soccer balls, dancers dressed like flowers and more. There was even a large LED crystal ball with changing colors and images. It was definitely a creative ceremony.  

The opening match was Brazil versus Croatia. Although both teams came to play, Brazil won 3 to 1. The game began with Brazil’s anthem and symbolic white doves of peace were released at the center of the field. What I really love about soccer, seemingly known everywhere else but America as fútbol, is the true companionship and sportsmanship of the game. Even though every team comes to play and win, there is still a level of respect and an overall love of the game that doesn’t exist in all other sports. At the World Cup, players show their extreme love and pride for their country and the sport. You can see the emotion on the faces of the Brazilian players as they sing their anthem below. Check out the other images from the exciting first game too.

Here is the line-up of this weekend’s matches:

Friday, June 13, 2014

Mexico versus Cameroon at 12 p.m.

Spain versus Netherlands at 3 p.m.

Chile versus Australia at 6 p.m.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Colombia versus Greece at 12 p.m.

Uruguay versus Costa Rica at 3 p.m.

England versus Italy at 6 p.m.

Côte d’Ivoire versus Japan at 9 p.m.

Sunday, June 14, 2014

Switzerland versus Ecuador at 12 p.m.

France versus Honduras at 3 p.m.

Argentina versus Bosnia and Herzegovina at 6 p.m.

The United States doesn’t play until Monday at 6 p.m. against Ghana. Be sure to view the whole schedule here.

Collegiettes™, you can watch all of the upcoming games on television on ESPN.

But would you rather watch surrounded by other soccer fans? You’re in luck! Head over to Beef ‘O’ Brady’s in the Marshall Student Center for their live viewing parties. Concessions and snacks will be available during the games.

I hope you’re as excited about the rest of the World Cup as I am. Just in case you can’t see my excitement, view it on the faces of the Brazilian coaches after their victory.

Photo Credits: Billboard, Cricket and the Guardian

Jasmin Lankford is a junior at the University of South Florida majoring in mass communications with a minor in creative writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF. Jasmin is also the Communications committee chair of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Student Leadership Society and the Media Coordinator of The Poets at USF. She loves to write about literature, fashion, art, student life and pop culture. She aspires to publish a bestselling book, write and edit for a newspaper or magazine, travel the world, and more. Read her blog here!
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.