10 Female Characters That Make Great Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The best Halloween costumes are often the ones that we think of the night before and create using things we already own. They are the best because not only do we know that they will fit us, but also because they were kinda free. The following are creative and original Halloween costumes inspired by amazing female characters that can also be crafted using clothing you already own!

Meredith Grey

Do you own a pair of scrubs or a lab coat? Well, do not let them sit in your closet this year. Break them out to celebrate Halloween with an authentic outfit. You can either be surgical resident Meredith or even surgeon Grey. 

Linda Belcher

Who does not love the positive and hilarious Mrs. Belcher from Bob’s burgers? Her fun spirit and simple attire will bring life to any party, so grab your red long sleeve shirt up and jeans! Bonus point if you have red-framed glasses or put on an apron.

Kim Possible

Do you own a black long sleeve shirt and cargo pants? Do you want to feel comfortable this Halloween without sacrificing the sexy look? This is the costume for you. Feel free to add details such as the belt and gloves if they are available.

Nancy Downs

Want to look gothic and still technically be in a Halloween costume? Well, first please watch the movie The Craft and then gather all your black clothing and cross jewelry. Nancy’s look is perfect for anyone who wants to spice up traditional Halloween costumes and in this case, the witch.

Photo courtesy of HelloGiggles

Any character on the Bachelorette

Put on your fancy short dress, your tallest heels and chose your favorite season. In a room full of cats and witches, this twist on the Friday night look will surely get attention.

Photo courtesy of Southern Belle in Training

Francine Smith

Embrace the sassy housewife within you with this amazing character from comedy cartoon “American Dad”. Slip on a pink dress and heels, and enjoy a night of people admiring your clever costume. It is also a great conversation starter. Who does not like “American Dad?”

Kimmy Schmidt

Feel free to Google up this character. Many do not know about Kimmy Schmidt from the Netflix show “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” which is actually about a woman trying to get her life back on track after being in a cult for years. This funny, yet dark and twisted comedy is great to binge-watch. In order to dress up as Kimmy, scavenge through your closet for your brightest clothes, preferably something pink and yellow. You can always watch the show for more inspiration.

Photo courtesy of Brit + Co

Pam Beesly

This honestly can be a great couples costumes, but if your Jim has not been found, or is not up for it, you can still enjoy this look. Over the seasons, Pam has enjoyed a variety of Halloween costumes. Those include her iconic black cat and Olive Oyl, which both could be achieved with previously owned clothing. If you really want to nail that “The Office” look, you can just dress up in your office best and wear a name tag.

Buffy Summers

The iconic Buffy, the vampire killer, is known for her sense of style along with her amazing acrobatic skills. Put on your everyday clothes, a cross necklace, and bring your wooden stake. If you really do not own any wooden stakes, a branch should also do the job.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Chanel Oberlin

If you loved spoiled child actress Madison Montgomery from “American Horror Story,” then you will love sorority queen Chanel Oberlin from “Scream Queens.” This stylish fashionista has a distinct sense of style that is both polished and unique. Mixing furs and pencils skirts, Chanel’s style can be imitated by wearing any bold statement outfit paired with black sunglasses.

Photo courtesy of TeenVogue

I am a 19-year-old student majoring in Psychology and World languages on the Pre-medical track. Writing has been a passion of mine ever since I moved to America eight years ago. My other hobbies include pageantry, I just crowned the new reigning Miss Teen Palm Beach America, and cooking. A fun fact about me is that I speak three languages fluently (Russian, Hebrew, and English) and I am a Wiccan. My background inspires my writing and plays a role in my approaches to certain topics.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.