What If You Didn’t Go to Cabo for Spring Break?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

The average USC girl hears, “Spring Break”, and instinctively she pictures bathing suits, beaches, booze, and boys, or more simply put, a week long vacation in Cabo San Lucas. But when you choose not to go South of the boarder, 1,1450 miles away, skimming your amigos social media can make your nine days of freedom seem hopeless. False. No need to travel to the “hot spot” to have a good time, when you can bring the good time to you. Your Spring Break is just beginning, and the adventures ahead are limitless!

1. Catch Up On The ZZZs

Your body is run down. Getting some extra hours of sleep will work wonders, leaving you rejuvenated and replenished. Why go to fiestas around the clock in Cabo, when you can get enough sleep to make up for all the late nights ahead.

2. Spring Skiing

USC is the epitome of perfect weather and sunshine, so why go to Cabo for more Vitamin D? Dig up your fluffy winter jacket, rent some skis, grab some snow bunnies, and conquer Mammoth, Big Bear, or Tahoe.

3. Pamper Yourself

Don’t bore yourself with the people you see everyday at Starbucks, Leavey Library, Journalism class, Lyons Center, or the Row. Give yourself some “me” time. Save the Cabo money, and treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure, facial, or massage.

4. Other Countries Than Mexico Exist

Your sure to hear plenty about Mexico when your friends return to the states. Venture to a different country, and you can add something new to the group text. Sign up for week long a service trip, so you can both volunteer and explore!

5. Enjoy Home-Cooked Meals

Mexican every night, or mom’s home-cooking? Take advantage of being at home, and stalk up on your favorite meals.

6. Road Trip With The Gals

No need to spend on an airline ticket, when you can road trip. Grab some girlfriends, and visit your friends at an in session university. After visiting another school, it will make you even more eager to return to USC, and rep your cardinal and gold.

7. Don’t Miss Out on The Bachelor Finale

You have cable, and the language is English, so you won’t have to rely on Internet updates to find out who receives the final rose. You will finally know if Ben truly “loved” both Lauren and JoJo.

8. Get Fit

Girls break a sweat and stick to a strict dietary regime weeks leading up to Cabo, in hopes to achieve the “bikini body”. Instead of being a beach bum, you can maintain that body. Hit the gym, go on a challenging hike, swim in the pool, or walk your pooch you missed so much.

9. Catch Up On Internships

Rather than escaping to paradise, take this free time to focus on life. Internship deadlines are fast approaching; research, update your resume, and connect, so you can make your dream job reality.

10. Get Artsy Fartsy

Forget about the Cabo Instagrams, and instead reminisce all the memories you have already made this semester. For a weeklong craft, collect photos and design an online photo album of your Spring semester.

Accomplish all the above, and you have one entertaining week ahead!

Who needs Cabo San Lucas?

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!