The USC Bookstore Is Not Your Basic Bookstore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

When you step into the USC Bookstore, inevitably the first things that come to mind are textbooks, school supplies, and USC spirit; your basic college student purchase. But have you really explored the bookstore beyond the book stacks and hangers of cardinal and gold? You’d be surprised at what you can find on all four floors!  

Ready To Walk the Walk

Jogging around campus? Hiking along the beach? Heading to the snow? Looking to compliment the perfect outfit? The bookstore has your feet covered, literally. There’s an assortment of Nikes, Rainbows, Havannas, Uggs, Toms, and booties. Make sure to keep an eye out for the cardinal and gold high heels. It’s like a mini USC DSW!

Put Your Sunnies On

In the heart of Los Angeles, everyone at USC knows you can’t be caught dead strolling on campus without a trendy pair of sunglasses. Look nowhere else, because there’s an entire wall covered in Ray Bans and Wonderland sunglasses. Next week’s forecast is sunny and seventy-five, so make sure you have your shades out!

Beautify Me

CVS is no longer the most convenient place to purchase beauty products. There’s a whole section on the third floor with Merle Norman, bareMinerals, Smashbox, loofahs, makeup brushes, scrubs, and soaps. If only there were makeup artists to touch you up in between classes…

Earn My University of Social Climbers Degree

USC proudly accepts and represents the acronym, “University of Social Climbers”. For those of legal age, Thursday nights just got better. Toss the red solo cups and impress your partygoers with classy shot glasses, champagne glasses, wine glasses, and beer mugs.

Gaining Brain Power and My Athletic Bod

Refuel your muscles after a workout at the Lyon’s Center with a variety of protein powders. And don’t be worried if you really start to feel the burn, because you can ease the pain with a knee brace, elbow strap, and sports tape.

Dress Me Up

USC only wants you to stress about midterms, not about the forty-minute LA commute to travel two miles to Macy’s. Don’t worry about what you’re going to wear to class on Wednesday, because the bookstore sells Free People! Wearing leggings and a t-shirt to class is no longer an option, when you can be dressed from head to toe in this hip brand.

Bejewel Me

Wonder why every girl at USC owns an Alex & Ani bracelet? Because there’s a table filled with this stylish wrist jewelry. Now you know where to get your bestie her birthday present!

Call Me SChef

Eating three meals a day at the dining halls gets old very quickly, and eating out in LA builds up your debt even quicker. There’s not just textbooks in the basement, but also an assortment of cookbooks. Whether you want to cook a fancy meal for friends, bake yummy cupcakes, or attempt being vegetarian for a week, you’re bound to find the recipe for you.

Rain Rain Go Away

You came to USC imagining you would never see rain, thunder, or puddles in your four years. If you can’t handle the occasional precipitation, dash into the bookstore for a poncho and umbrella. The day they sell bike seat covers will make any rainy day no biggie.

Feeling Sentimental

Caught up in schoolwork, you don’t always have time to craft a special card for that special someone. The bookstore has an assortment of cards and stationary, making it super easy to express your feelings on paper. All you must do is add a personal touch with a sincere message. Now you can always show the love!

Now you know there’s more than the mundane at the USC Bookstore! So next time you pass by the USC Bookstore, make sure you have plenty of discretionary money on your USC ID!

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!