Tyga is a No-Show for his Performance at USC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

These H*es Ain’t Loyal

Green and blue lights flashed and the top 40 hits blasted as nearly one hundred USC students partied under the Los Angeles stars – well, smog. On Saturday night, one of the 23 fraternities at USC, which wished to be unnamed, was hosting their semester register (Greek life code for a really big party with a really big budget) and Tyga was headlining. Yes, Tyga. Yes, Kylie Jenner’s boyfriend.

At USC, it’s not out of the ordinary for celebrities to make an appearance on campus. Considering we’re in Los Angeles, and an overwhelming amount of celebrities attended/still attend, it’s not uncommon to spot them on your walk to class – or at a fraternity party. This year alone, LMFAO and 3OH!3 performed at registers and Shaun White had an event at a fraternity house. Even though we’re used to it, students were still stoked to see Tyga. Maybe it’s because unlike LMFAO and 3OH!3, Tyga is still relevant (and we wouldn’t have to relive that Sexy and I Know It dance routine we made five years ago). But let’s face it, we were all hoping Kylie would show up.

Back to the party…champagne sprayed like a sprinkler through the air, students belted their hearts out to Sorry by Justin Bieber, and some girls in the middle of the dance floor were convulsing – I mean, twerking. It was your typical fraternity party that you often resented more than you enjoyed, but the anticipation of Tyga’s performance was enough to ignore the fear of getting yet another drink spilled on you.

Midnight came and went. Students started getting skeptical. At 1 a.m., it was clear that Tyga was a no-show, so the fraternity shut the party down early. The concern of college girls rioting and throwing fits when they realized Kylie – I mean Tyga – wasn’t going to show up was too threatening for the fraternity members. Students wandered the streets aimlessly, wishing they got a glimpse of one of Tyga’s face tattoos. Some dispersed to their dorm rooms; others fed their drunchies with mediocre donuts and greasy Mexican food – both great choices – but Tyga’s whereabouts was still up for debate and was mildly concerning.

According to the fraternity’s Social Media Chair, who wished to be anonymous, they had been in contact with Tyga’s manager and publicist for two months prior to the event. “Tyga was in Dubai for an autism benefit and flew in on the morning of the party. So he was in LA that morning and was supposed to perform at midnight,” the Social Media Chair said. The fraternity abruptly stopped hearing back from Tyga’s manager that day.

Upon leaving the party, it was rumored that Tyga took the money and ran. Nonetheless, the Social Media Chair said, “We did give Tyga money upfront, but he wired it back to us this morning…We’re still deciding on what to do with the money we got back.” Wow Tyga, we’re impressed. We thought you were going to use that money as a down payment to buy Kylie another Ferrari.

There is talk of the fraternity saving the money to get another headliner next semester. Keep an eye on the USC row; you never know who will or who won’t show up next.  

Spot me at USC making a fire playlist on Spotify or cracking a classic dad joke.    
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!