This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Midterms are coming up this semester, and I know some of us cram until the week of or even a few days before the exam. Most of us even may dread the word midterms because it means understanding, studying, and memorizing the material we were taught in the first four weeks of the semester. It may mean rewatching hour lectures over and over again until the material is absorbed. Stressed yet? I know I have been, especially during COVID-19. If you are similar to me, you’ve been teaching yourself the material and re-reading all your textbooks hoping to grasp some knowledge. 

It’s a new year and a new semester. We are all trying to be on top of our work and doing our best in school. However, since school is online and many of us are at home, there are so many distractions arounds us. So, how do we necessarily pay attention in class if our phone is going off every second? The first week of this semester, I found that I was very distracted and wasn’t paying attention to my back to back hour long classes. Not many people really want to sit at their desk for four to five hours straight and pay attention to a professor sharing their screen all the time. Here’s what I’ve been doing over the past couple of weeks that have kept me focused on my lectures and prevented me from getting side tracked.

1. Turn off All App Notifications

I never realized how glued I was to my phone until I started online learning. It was a difficult step for me to do because I’d always fear I’d be missing out on something. But in reality, whatever notification you may get, it will be there when you look at your phone next. During class, I found myself checking notifications, texting, and even playing games if I found a lecture uninteresting. This habit backfired last semester because I had to rewatch all my lectures and cram for my final, which took up more time than if I had paid attention in class.

2. Delete any Apps that you Find Yourself Checking Constantly

Taking a step to delete an app or uninstall an application is hard, but if it is distracting you, this tip may help. I found myself checking Discord a lot even though I had no notifications. My friends talk on there, so I got used to looking at  the messaging app, and  had it open all class. I got myself to uninstall it, and it relieved me of so much stress,I felt like my mind was cleared. I had the chance to focus on my lectures and only my lectures. So if you’re similar to me, and cannot get yourself to stop checking apps, taking a social media or messaging app break may be healthy if it keeps you from getting distracted.

3. Make Your Notes Colorful

We have all seen those colorful and aesthetically pleasing notes on Pinterest. So, why not try to make your notes pretty? I’ve noticed that by highlighting, organizing, and coloring my notes in a certain way, I enjoy taking them and paying attention to what is being taught. It may be more work, but it altered how I viewed notetaking and kept me more engaged in the lectures. Before I tried to take nice notes, I just jotted down things I found important on a piece of paper. I would doodle because I found that my notes and the lecture didn’t grapple me; however, doing so kept me distracted from paying attention.

4. Find Your Unique Work Space

Our workspace plays a factor into how much we pay attention. If we attend a lecture out in the living room with the television on, that’s a distraction that is keeping you from paying attention to your Zoom screen. However, I’ve noticed that by creating a simple workspace for myself that is inspiring, I have become more motivated to pay attention. I get rid of all the distractions on my desk, turn on a neon sign that says “Get Shit Done,” and I am way more focused than if my desk was cluttered with notebooks and pens everywhere. I know some of us may not have the room, resources, or space to find what workspace is least distracting. But if you can find one spot in your house that is your place where you don’t get distracted, this will help when paying attention to your lecturer. For instance, my friend found that her space was in the bathroom. She placed a cutting board over the sink and moved a comfortable chair into the bathroom because it was the space with the least amount of noise in her apartment. Your space can be anywhere. 

5. Get a Snack in Between Classes

I get distracted by my own thoughts if I am sitting in one spot for a long period of time. I’ll either be thinking about how hungry I am, how I wish I slept more, or how I wish I was done with all my homework. I have classes back to back, and I have learned that it’s best to get up in between classes. I either get a quick snack, walk around my house for a few minutes, or do anything to get my mind cleared.

It is extremely difficult to be focused on school if you are surrounded by your friends, family, phone, etc. all while stuck at your home. If you are able to notice what is distracting you every time you become disengaged with a lecture, figure out how you could become more engaged. Your notes, your grades, and yourself will thank you so you won’t be studying last minute!

Sydney Fiorentino is a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering. She has a strong interest in journalism. She likes to sing, walk, and listen to music.
Katie Muschalik is a film student at the University of Southern California. Everything she ever needed to know she learned from a Judy Blume book.