This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

So, you want to talk birth control. Finally!! The taboo topic of women’s contraceptives is somehow shrouded in mystery, and we want to know why. Seriously, the internet debates whether girls poop more openly. 

Here we attempt to open the door, because you should have complete control over your sexual health, whether you decide to use birth control or not. If you are new to the idea, or thinking of switching to a new birth control method, look no further! Here are five different types of birth available at USC’s Engemann Student Health Center.

THE IUD

Kyleena, Mirena, and Skyla, no they’re not influencer baby names, they’re IUDS. The IUD is a small plastic device that is inserted by a doctor into the cervix, where it lives for the next 3-12 years. The device is made of flexible plastic and is a little longer than an airpod (shoutout to Kyleena’s website for that great reference point). These hormonal IUDS prevent pregnancy by both thickening the mucus of the cervix which prevents sperm from reaching the egg, and sometimes stop the egg from leaving the ovaries at all, which means…no period!! Mirena, Kyleena, and Skyla last 7, 5, and 3 years respectively, so go ahead and choose your own adventure.

USC also offers an IUD under the name of Paragard. Paragard is made of copper, which apparently sperm don’t like (no research has been done as to whether it also repels developed sperm cells AKA men). Lasting for 12 years, Paragard releases no hormones so it won’t affect your period.

THE IMPLANT AKA NEXPLANON

The Nexplanon implant is a small matchstick sized piece of plastic that is inserted into the upper arm. It releases Progestin – the same hormone that’s in the IUD –  into the body. Therefore, it yields the same results! Thicker mucus, stopping the release of the egg, and no period (in most cases). Finally, you can see the world through the eyes of a man, not thinking about whether you should wear white, or worrying about the impending warfare that will twist and cramp your insides. 

THE PILL

The pill might be the most common form of birth control, but there are so many options. Rather than going through Engemann, to get the pill all you need to do is set up an appointment at a USC pharmacy. They’ll walk you through your options so you can choose what’s right for you!

Happy birth controlling! Stay safe, and take control of your body, because future Trojans should only be created on YOUR terms.

USC c/o 2022