Meet Freddy J. Nager – Creative Director in Marketing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Freddy J. Nager is an award-winning Marketing Strategist, Creative Director and Marketing Communications Adjunct Professor at the University of Southern California. With a Bachelor’s degree from Harvard University and an MBA from USC, Freddy has extensive professional experience in digital media and content creation. In 2007, he founded Atomic Tango which is a marketing strategy and content development agency serving clients around the world. Atomic Tango has since evolved to also include an online magazine (AtomicTango.com) for creative professionals. Read his interview below to know more about Freddy and Atomic Tango.

• Why did you start Atomic Tango? What is it about?

While networking in Silicon Valley in 2007, I had several entrepreneurs ask me to help them with marketing. That enabled me to launch my own agency. As for the agency’s name, I first selected the word “Tango” because of the expression “it takes two to tango,” referring to both creativity and strategy. Both are critical for success in marketing, but few agencies enjoy doing both. I do. I then combined Tango with “Atomic,” since I love atomic-era design of the 1950s and 1960s. I then moved back to L.A., since this city has such an electric combination of talent, diversity, and ambition.

• What skills or personal characteristics do you feel contribute most to success in the marketing field?

In addition to the usual creative skills of writing and design, a marketer must be able to sell. I wish I had taken sales training — it wasn’t offered in business school. Instead, I learned sales the hard way through trial and error, and I still have much to learn. Easily 90% of my job consists of selling, whether it’s to land a new client, or to convince a current client that my recommendations will help them. For those looking for work, sales skills can help land a job and negotiate a good salary.

Marketers should also continuously market themselves, whether that’s through blogging, speaking, or networking. As a marketer, you’re always working in some way. As advertising legend Bill Bernbach once said, “In this very real world, good doesn’t drive out evil. Evil doesn’t drive out good. But the energetic displaces the passive.”

Finally, a marketer needs to know their target markets. They should read the news daily, and not just “what’s trending” on their social networks. They need to learn about the customers until they see the world through their eyes. They need to watch the competition, and seek out collaborators. Marketing is anthropology and sociology and psychology — it’s a way of thinking.

• Being both an instructor at USC and the founder of Atomic Tango, how do you balance your time and work while constantly contributing contents to your website?

I’m still trying to figure that out! I work seven days a week, sometimes eight hours, sometimes more, sometimes less. Now, teaching doesn’t feel like work to me — it’s what I enjoy most. Some people play tennis, others perform in bands. I love to share what I know in a classroom. I often come to campus a bit tired, but as soon as I start interacting with my students, I’m rejuvenated. I don’t think I could do marketing without teaching.

• The marketing industry has changed dramatically in the past five years. What have you seen from inside your company? Where do you think the changes will happen in the next five years?

Everyone talks about technological influences and changing media consumption habits in society, and that’s certainly the case. We’re all doing digital media now. People also talk about globalization and demographic shifts, and the need for a more worldly point of view. Again, all true.

But what has affected my business the most is the mere popularity of marketing. I don’t think the world has ever had more people working in marketing — the gospel has spread globally. Consequently, it seems like a new consultant or agency appears daily. That makes marketing a hot field to work in, but an incredibly competitive one, as well. Since anyone can call themselves a marketer — no licensing or even education required — having true marketing expertise is more important than ever. There are too many snake oil sellers out there willing to work for minimum wage — or less — so we professional marketers need to be critical thinkers and analysts, and to express our views in a public forum. And for our clients, we need to create plans that generate financial returns, not just vague outcomes like “engagement.”

As for the future, I think we’re going to see a return to having fundamental good ideas. Too much of marketing lately has been about new technologies and platforms, and doing whatever you can to create a buzz, but at the end of the day the strongest brands are based on thoughtful foundations. Marketers need to take time out to think again, and not just hop on the latest trend.

• Based on your observations, what are the major problems students face when they enter the marketing field?

Their first few marketing jobs will likely be tedious. They won’t be creating glamorous commercials for lifestyle brands, as they may have fantasized doing after watching “Mad Men.” Rather, a lot of their work will be menial — researching markets, crunching numbers, entering content, and simply executing other people’s ideas. This leads to burnout quickly, since students often hear that they should pursue their passions. I call that the “passion trap,” because few entry-level or even mid-level positions will meet their expectations. So I advise fresh grads to find a stable job with nice people who give them opportunities to grow and learn. If the people aren’t nice, or the job has no growth potential, leave quickly. Once they have that steady, friendly gig, they should use their spare time to run their own projects, whether that’s consulting their favorite charity or running the Kickstarter campaign for an entrepreneur or brand. Side projects are critical for your sanity and your soul.

• What suggestions do you have for those who want to pursue a career in this field?

Network, network, and network some more. A USC degree proves you can do the work, but now you have to find the right people to open the doors. Applying to jobs you find online rarely accomplishes that, since most jobs are hired through referrals.

Once you get any kind of opportunity, you have to deliver A+ work, taking the initiative to go beyond the requirements. You also need to keep developing your skills — don’t just be a designer, be a creative director. Don’t just be a writer, be a content strategist. Anyone starting out in corporate America should read “Career Warfare” by David D’Alessandro.

I also wrote an article on my website called “12 Survival Tips Before You’re 30: A Career Plan For Young Marketers” (http://www.atomictango.com/missions/marketing-survival-tips/).

• Can you recommend any professional journals, websites or books for this field?

I wrote another article just about that: “Read ‘Em And Reap: The Best Books For Marketers And Entrepreneurs.” (http://www.atomictango.com/media/business-reading-list/) And, of course, they should read my website, right? ;)

Hi all, my name is Connie. I am a first year graduate student at University of Southern California in Communication Management. I am also a blogger, a foodie, and a bookworm based in Los Angeles. As a typical Aries, I love traveling a lot and enjoy meeting different interesting souls in this world. Please follow my own website (www.sweetconnie.net) and my Instagram (@connieeeezhang). I can't wait to share more with you folks!
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!