jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Brittany Forgione- PR at Paley Center for Media!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

The Paley Center for Media is a nonprofit organization based in New York and Los Angeles. Their mission is to educate people on the usage of media within our culture and community. Their website states that the Paley Center “examines the intersections between media and society.” The Paley Center helps to curate discussions around the constant evolution of media and the changing of its significance. Brittany Forgione works in PR for the Paley Center and is helping Her Campus USC learn more about their work. She is an incredibly hardworking woman (she even does Iron Mans!), read her interview below to learn more about her and the Paley Center!  Her Campus at USC is also starting an AMAZING giveaway in partnership with the Paley Center.  Stay tuned for more information on how YOU can win tickets to the Paley Fest.

The Basics:

Hometown:  I grew up in Boca Raton, Florida.

College:  I went to Hofstra University, which is situated on Long Island, just short of an hour from Manhattan. Go Pride!

Major:  I declared my major in audio/radio, which focused on radio programming, broadcasting, editing, and voice over work. My minor in music was a way to work in something I’ve always loved to do– sing.

HC USC: Was entertainment always an area of work that you wanted to go into?

Brittany Forgione:  As a kid I always dreamed of working in theater, television, music or film in some capacity. I grew up acting & singing on stage, but I started to see I had a knack for creating, producing, writing…all of the roles that bring the show to life. I couldn’t pinpoint that one dream job but I knew college would be the place where I could start to explore my options. And sure enough, marketing and public relations entered my wheelhouse early on at Hofstra and started to open many opportunities for me.

HC USC:  Do you have any advice to students who may want to get into PR or the entertainment industry itself?

BF:  I would advise that students open their minds to the possibilities that are out there, because there are so many ways to break into the business. Everyone says it but it really is so true – internships are key! They can be exactly that…the key to your next job, or even the key to opening the door to new passions. I always advise students to aim for internships at places they would like to work, because a high percentage of those will turn to jobs- if not immediately, definitely down the road. I also truly believe that being a well-rounded entertainment professional and/or a publicist will give you more leverage in the hiring process. Learn how to produce a TV show before trying to do PR for one. Spend some time doing agency PR before heading in house so you’ll learn how to juggle various clients and execute their needs, which will only make you a better manager when you’re directing your company’s agency efforts. I don’t believe in a bad step; any foot in the door provides you with a learning experience. Take full advantage every time and be proud of your ability to constantly give it a shot and see where that shot takes you. 

HC USC:  What is your role with The Paley Center for Media?

BF:  At The Paley Center for Media, I am the Director, Communications. I head up all in-house PR efforts for both our NY and LA offices, constantly working to increase awareness, and promote our various events and initiatives throughout the year for the leading entertainment and media-focused nonprofit. Various job duties include: leading strategic plans to capitalize on our programs, partnerships, and vast archive of TV and radio programming; working with programming teams to promote events under our public, media council, education, and Paley Impact programming pillars; assisting various departments with efforts to help drive memberships, DVD sales, and other revenue streams; crafting company press releases and messaging; building and managing red carpet events for various celebrities and executives;  managing outside public relations agencies in NY & LA. You get the point, right? 

HC USC:  What is the hardest part of your job?

BF:  It’s a lot of work for one person, but that’s what also makes it extremely rewarding. Also, most public relations jobs come with a lot of responsibility, and they require you to always be at your best, most creative state. I am constantly shifting my lens of focus based on what the day brings, and with that comes a commitment to making smart decisions and clear judgements that affect the company. It can be a lot of pressure, but I’d like to think I thrive on it.

HC USC: What is the most rewarding part of your job?

BF: I think it’s important to constantly pat yourself on the back for the work you’re doing. I take on a high magnitude of responsibility every day, so everything I accomplish I am proud of. There’s something rewarding about simply getting the job done and realizing you did it quite well.  

HC USC:  How would you describe the work that The Paley Center for Media does?

BF:  The Paley Center for Media is a 501(c)3 nonprofit based in NY and LA which leads the conversation about the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public. Formerly the Museum of Television and Radio, the Paley Center holds the largest, permanent media collection, over 160,000 TV, radio, and internet programs, accessible for public viewing in NY & LA. Year-round, the Paley Center has PaleyLive and PaleyFest entertainment events which  bring TV fans together with the casts and creative teams of today’s top shows; media council events which create an intimate forum for television, tech, media, and advertising executives to discuss the various changes in the media landscape; Paley Impact panel discussions which touch on hot topics in media including women in STEM, diversity on television, and data journalism, for instance; and educational events which teach classes about media evolution to kids K through college. A lot goes on behind the Paley Center doors!

HC USC:  Paley Center for Media is a non-profit. Can you tell us a little about the work that The Paley Center for Media does with students?

BF:  The Paley Center offers on-site classes, videoconferencing classes, and workshops for educators all year long. Every day, students walk through Paley’s doors for re-creating radio workshops, special seminars, the University series, and more. Programming from the Paley Archive is used to inform, educate, and entertain these students in a wide range of subjects.

HC USC:  Paley Fest is a week long television festival of sorts right? What is your favorite aspect of the festival?

BF:  PaleyFest is the ultimate TV fan festival. The Paley Center has been bringing casts and creative teams tgether for some time now through its PaleyLive programs, but PaleyFest brings the most critically-acclaimed television shows together in one week, making it an absolute extravaganza of special screenings and exclusive behind-the-scenes insight with today’s biggest stars. I love watching fans come from all over to see their favorite casts, but it’s exceptionally great when you realize that the audience is not just connecting with the stars, but with each other. People walk out of that room with new best friends, and those they hope to return to PaleyFest with each year, The 33rd annual PaleyFest LA takes place March 11-20 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. PaleyFest NY takes place every fall.

Hey this is Natalie! I am a freshman at USC who loves traveling. Fun fact: I rode an elephant in Thailand and it was the best day of my life.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!